cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error "Could not verify ST device" in CM4 core when debugging STM32H745I-DISCO board using SWD mode in Segger J-link.

Akast.2
Associate II

I am working on following platform:

Hardware - STM32H745I-DISCO board.

IDE - STM32CubeIDE v1.10.1.

STM32CubeMX v6.6.1-RC2.

Embedded MCU package for STM32H7 v1.10.0.

I am using SWD mode in Segger J-link for debugging. I am getting error "Could not verify ST device" when I am trying to debug CM4 core and debugger don't enter the CM4 core but CM7 is working fine. I am using CN16 TAG connector on discovery board for programming. I also tried creating a launch group, in that case also I was getting the same error. How to solve this issue?

Further when I change the debug probe from ST-Link GDB server to Segger J-link in debug configuration, I get a warning saying that some fine tuning would be required for Segger J-link to support the target device. What fine tuning is required for it to support the target device?

Documents attached

IMG1. Debug configurations of CM4.

IMG2. Debug configurations of CM7.

IMG3. Warning when changing from ST-Link to Segger J-link.

IMG4. Warning of "Could not verify ST device".

log_cm4. Console log in case of CM4.

log_cm7. Console log in case of CM7.

5 REPLIES 5
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

Check SEGGER J-LINK documentation under STM32CubeIDE. You should follow these steps when facing J-Link / J-Trace issues:

1. Close all running applications on your host system.
  2. Disconnect the J-Link / J-Trace device from USB.
  3. Disable power supply on the target.
  4. Re-connect J-Link / J-Trace with the host system (attach USB cable).
  5. Enable power supply on the target.
  6. Try your target application again. If the problem remains continue the following procedure.
  7. Close all running applications on your host system again.
  8. Disconnect the J-Link / J-Trace device from USB.
  9. Disable power supply on the target.
  10. Re-connect J-Link / J-Trace with the host system (attach the USB cable).
  11. Enable power supply on the target.
  12. Start JLink.exe.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Akast.2
Associate II

Hi @F.Belaid​  I followed all the steps but it did not help. Sometimes the error "Could not verity ST device" come and sometimes the M4 core gets stuck in another error "break at address 0x... with no debug information ..."

Image attached showing error

0693W00000Uo4AeQAJ.png

Akast.2
Associate II

Dear ST team @F.Belaid​

Please help I am blocked due to this problem and provide a solution ASAP.

FBL
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

Still working on it, our experts will get back to you ASAP.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Sorry for a later reply, thread was brought to my attention today.

When debugging dual-core devices you need to tell the debugger which core to connect to. With SEGGER I believe that the access ports managing the communication to the different cores are hidden behind "device names". So, to communicate with the M7 core, you have to specify the :

STM32H745XI_M7

For the Cortex-M4 core the device name should consequently be set to:

STM32H745XI_M4

Does it help?