cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS18B20 not registering with internal pullup resistor

smakivic
Associate

I am trying to use the DS18B20 temp sensor on a stm32h7 board to display the current temperature using putty, and if the temp is higher than 45 degrees celsius to display a heat warning, but for whatever reason the sensor is not beign registered. 

I have connected the vdd cable to the 5v pin and the data cable to the A2 pin, I have configured the A2 pin as Output Open Drain with pull-up and I think that the sensor is not being registered.
I have attached my code so far

I also get abnormal readings like these, no matter if the sensor is plugged in or not:
"""
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 2693.75°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 1515.38°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 821.12°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 3424.06°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 1877.06°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 2543.00°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 2560.12°C
Heat Warning! Current Temperature: 1713.81°C
"""

I followed a lot with this tutorial: https://controllerstech.com/ds18b20-and-stm32/#google_vignette
So I think I got the delays correct but I am not entirely sure

Any help would be really appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @smakivic, to the community!

you should check your main.c again. I've already found a few strange things when quickly looking over it:

• in Set_Pin_Input() you use the parameters *GPIOx and GPIO_Pin, but then call DS18B20_PORT and DS18B20_PIN directly in the function. Why use parameters then for the function call?
  • In Set_Pin_Output() you set the GPIO to output push-pull. However, the DS18B20 uses a bidirectional line that should only float (and thus possibly supply the DS18B20 parasitically) or be pulled to GND (logical zero). You would therefore have to use OD = open drain here.

Have you also verified the waveform on the bi-directional pin using a scope?

Which compiler are you using?

Which compiler optimisation have you set?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
LCE
Principal

Tutorials aside, people should read datasheets.

In the sensor's DS, I only see a 4k7 pull-up in each schematic.

Compare that to the STM's pull-up, so no surprise here.

Im pretty sure that the compiler is arm-none-eabi-gcc and the optimisation is None (-O0)