Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE hides errors in the console window

qua
Associate III

When I do a build in STM32CubeIDE 1.9.0 the console window looks like this:

0693W00000NsMjrQAF.png 

But if you scroll up a bit...

0693W00000NsMk6QAF.pngYou can see that the build actually failed. Those errors are real.

I could make the window a bit taller I suppose, but shouldn't it stop building when there is an error, and at least show the error and warning count on the very last line?

STM32CubeIDE

Version: 1.9.0

Build: 12015_20220302_0855 (UTC)

Java vendor: AdoptOpenJDK

Java runtime version: 11.0.11+9

Java version: 11.0.11

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bob S
Principal

You are building multiple projects. That "Build finished" line is only for that project. The build probably does stop building the project with the error, but (obviously) continues with the other projects. Yeah it would be nice if there weer a "grand summary" status at the bottom of the console window. But, if you click on the "Problems" tab you should see any errors listed there from all the projects.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

How did you start the build? Were you building multiple configurations, or something...?

Perhaps copy & paste the entire output - so people can see the whole story?

qua
Associate III

I pressed CTRL+B to start the build.

The rest of it is unimportant, but I created a sample for you:

14:49:29 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project lwrx-mini-fw ****
make -j8 all 
..\touch.cmd

arm-none-eabi-gcc "../src/main.c" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -std=gnu11 -g3 -DDEBUG -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32F446xx -c -I../Core/Inc -I../Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc -I../Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/Legacy -I../Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32F4xx/Include -I../Drivers/CMSIS/Include -I../src -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/include -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2 -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/GCC/ARM_CM4F -I../FATFS/Target -I../FATFS/App -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FatFs/src -O0 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -fstack-usage -MMD -MP -MF"src/main.d" -MT"src/main.o" --specs=nano.specs -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb -o "src/main.o"
arm-none-eabi-gcc "../src/version.c" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -std=gnu11 -g3 -DDEBUG -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32F446xx -c -I../Core/Inc -I../Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc -I../Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/Legacy -I../Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32F4xx/Include -I../Drivers/CMSIS/Include -I../src -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/include -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2 -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/GCC/ARM_CM4F -I../FATFS/Target -I../FATFS/App -I../Middlewares/Third_Party/FatFs/src -O0 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -fstack-usage -MMD -MP -MF"src/version.d" -MT"src/version.o" --specs=nano.specs -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb -o "src/version.o"
../src/main.c:94:13: error: expected ';' before 'void'
   94 | fvjdkfnvkjdf
      |             ^
      |             ;
   95 | void vApplicationStackOverflowHook(xTaskHandle *pxTask, signed char *pcTaskName )
      | ~~~~         
make[1]: *** [src/subdir.mk:55: src/main.o] Error 1
make: *** [makefile:67: all] Error 2
"make -j8 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

14:49:30 Build Failed. 3 errors, 0 warnings. (took 877ms)

14:49:30 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project mains ****
make -j8 all 
arm-none-eabi-size   mains.elf 
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
  29376	     20	   3692	  33088	   8140	mains.elf
Finished building: default.size.stdout

14:49:30 Build Finished. 0 errors, 0 warnings. (took 226ms)

(I deliberately created that error)

Bob S
Principal

You are building multiple projects. That "Build finished" line is only for that project. The build probably does stop building the project with the error, but (obviously) continues with the other projects. Yeah it would be nice if there weer a "grand summary" status at the bottom of the console window. But, if you click on the "Problems" tab you should see any errors listed there from all the projects.

qua
Associate III

Thanks. Man, I hate Eclipse.

Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Just to add to the great information already provided, Ctrl + B is the binding for "Build All". This means that you would either need to right click your project and select "Close Unrelated Projects" to only have one open project or if you prefer to have multiple projects open but still use Ctrl + B then you can change the binding in "Window -> Preferences -> General -> Keys" to fit your purpose.

I always prefer to just right-click the required project, and choose 'Build' - then I always know exactly what it's going to build! 😁