cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE hangs when starting configurator

TJack.2
Associate III

Shortly after starting CubeIDE, if I open a .ioc file, the IDE starts the configurator, but then hangs with the pinout window incomplete and one processor core running 100% indefinitely. I am running CubeIDE 1.6.1 under Ubuntu Linux 18.04.5 on a 2-core processor with 4GB ram.

Workarounds:

1. If I know I need to change configuration, then use standalone CubeMX instead.
  2. Wait 2 minutes after starting the IDE before openiong a .ioc file (or until the CPU fan has returned to idle).
8 REPLIES 8
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Any chance to run extra trial on your side adding more log ? Have a look to your workspace some .metadata/.log4j setup file is available.

Move    <param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/> to    <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>.

Remove then .metadata/.log & .metadata/.ide.log and start a new IDE session. Please share back such 2 files. Sounds interesting part to share is from session start to CPU fan returned to idle as per 2) sounds .ioc file opening is not root source but some process initiated at launch.

Thanks

TJack.2
Associate III

OK, here you are. I ran the system twice, once when I waited for it to calm down then opened the .ioc, and it behaved correctly. The other where I rebooted first, then opened the .ioc as soon as the project pane appeared, and it hung. I also include a screenshot of the hung IDE. The pin-out pane appears but the peripherals pane to its left does not. I note that the fault seems to occur only after a reboot, once a succesful opening occurs, subsequent IDE runs within that Linux session work OK.

Thanks for sharing.

1) Is disabling background updates check is helping ? (Windows > Preferences)

0693W00000Bc5e6QAB.jpg 

Looking at traces:

1) Both are showing remote connections to Eclipse & co update sites

2) Hang and idle traces are somehow same but having lines interleaved

3) If idle trace sounds 2 minutes are spent doing handshake with remote servers (what's a while !!!)

=> Cutting such under the hood update checks may help I guess

2) Possibly 4Gb ram is too few ...

TJack.2
Associate III

Thanks. I'm trying setting update checks to once a week.

I wondered if it was a RAM issue when IDE, update and MX were all going on at once, but System Monitor doesn't show any swap activity. If it were memory swapping, then it would eventually complete, just very slowly, and that does not seem to be the case, I once left it for half an hour and the only difference was it took a hell of a long time to respond to being closed.

Here is a screenshot of the system monitor. I started the IDE at about the 170 second mark, and opened the .ioc somewhere around 120. At around 80 it went into the hung state (one processor saturated), and at 60 I clicked the close cross. The perspective changed back to C/C++ immediately but there was some delay before the IDE window closed.

Alexander Vasiljev
Associate II

I have the same issue. If my PC is under load them opening .ioc hangs. Take a look at left panel on the screenshot. It is empty and IDE hangs. I have to calm down PC and to restart IDE to open .ioc file. I saw this behavior in version of IDE 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7. They all behave the same.

My OS is ubuntu. Now is ubuntu 21.04. It was 20.10, 20.04. All the same.

My RAM is 24Gb. And it doesn't relate to opening. It happens after hours after opening of IDE, if any one of core of the CPU is under load. Even 30% of load.

0693W00000D1PTgQAN.png

TJack.2
Associate III

My gut feeling is that it is something to do with the Java engine. I have noticed that other Java-based software is also prone to hogging the CPU for extended periods, it doesn't seem to play 'nice'.

@TJack.2​  which language are you relying on ?

Just in case I've found back a old post which may help: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BvlLR1SQM/stm32cubeide-generates-high-cpu-load-win7

Ok was Win7 based but who knows ...

Looking back at your shared log you're relying on some german language setup 'NL=de_DE'. @Matt_12345 (Community Member)​ (Community Member)​ was claiming moving windows display language from German to English is solving his trouble.

TJack.2
Associate III

British English. The log files I submitted had 'NL=en_GB', on line 5 of .metadata/.log. Not sure where you found German. My system is only configured for British English and US English.