Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSCode for STM32 extension 1.0.0 released

Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

VSCode for STM32 extension 1.0.0 is available now

STM32 VS Code Extension

STM32 embedded development support added to Visual Studio Code.

A new STM32 VS Code Extension view container is added to the activity bar which contains lists of functionality that can be activated through a click.

Prerequisites

STM32CubeCLT is a toolset for third-party integrated development environment (IDE) providers, allowing the use of STMicroelectronics proprietary tools within their own IDE frameworks.

It is required for basic build and debug functionality.

For full functionality, three programs need to be installed on your computer:

Features

• Create VS Code compatible projects from STM32Cube projects
  • Shortcut to create new application projects in STM32CubeMX
  • Cloning of STM32Cube firmware from GitHub
  • Resources containing shortcuts relevant for STM32 development
    • STM32 MCU Developer Zone
    • STM32 firmware on GitHub
    • STMCUFinder
    • ST Community forum
    • Give feedback

Create VS Code compatible projects from STM32Cube projects

This feature makes use of the extension "Embedded Tools" by Microsoft to create a VS Code compatible project from an STM32Cube project.

When clicked, a file selection window is opened up where a cproject file can be selected to import the project.

Shortcut to create new application projects in STM32CubeMX

Opens STM32CubeMX if it is installed on your computer.

When opened up a new application project can be created.

Cloning of STM32Cube firmware from GitHub

Allows selecting firmware for an STM32 device to be downloaded and used in the project or used for source code referencing.

STM32 MCU Developer Zone

A web page dedicated to STM32 developers describing all key ecosystem elements of STM32 and STM32Cube.

STM32 firmware on GitHub

This is where STM32 firmware can be browsed for download or source code referencing.

STMCUFinder

Opens STMCUFinder if it is installed on your computer.

This allows you to browse through the available ST MCUs to find the ones suitable for your projects.

ST Community forum

A place where you can get support from other developers and ST employees, as well as contribute your own knowledge to help others.

Give feedback

This is where you can provide your feedback about this extension that you want us to hear.

Where to get get it

available on the VS Code Extension Marketplace

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=stmicroelectronics.stm32-vscode-extension

32 REPLIES 32

Thank you. That was it - my system explorer shows hidden files but that window did not. I thought the importer was looking for a different type of file.

Unfortunately after importing the project it still does not work.

Me too...but slightly different and I'm running on Ubuntu 20.04

Downloading vcpkg-artifacts bundle 2023-03-14...

error: Failed to provision vcpkg-artifacts.

> Failed with exit code "1".

> Failed to activate environment at ...

Ahmet Yasin CİVAN
Associate III

Thank you.

KMcle.2
Associate II

It seem that a limitation of the import tool is that it does not import configurations from the .cproject file such as excluded files and linked resources (at least in my experience). Is it possible to add a list of supported cross functionality so users with existing CubeIDE code bases can understand what functionality is not fully supported via the import tool?

Looking into this further, it looks like the import tool does not recognize workspace includes as shown,

0693W00000aJiCwQAK.pngI changed the include path to a relative path and resolved this problem,

0693W00000aJiD1QAK.png 

However, I still require manual removal of excluded target sources. It looks like the importer is including all source files in the workspace recursively instead of using the files specified in the paths and symbols options. In this case, the target_sources is including my testing and mocking files that are intentionally excluded from the source paths. Note: I was incorrect in my initial comment that files excluded from build were showing up, it was these files that the imported added that were causing issues.

0693W00000aJiDVQA0.png0693W00000aJiEYQA0.png 

I had the same problem and I tried to install Cortex-M Debug Extension​, but it didn't work

jhi
Senior

I already asked this a month ago, but is this coming to  https://open-vsx.org/ ?

Also this can't be installed on 1.72.2 VSCode, because it is not compatible. There doesn't seem to be any mention which versions are compatible.

polgu.1
Associate II

Hi,

I installed the new extension and could compile code from vscode but I had a problem. When I see any file with #include vscode shows me with red underlines and I can't navigate through my project files. Output send this message:

Unable to resolve configuration with compilerPath: "/opt/st/stm32cubeclt/gnu-tools-for-stm32/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc". Using "/usr/bin/clang" instead.

Any have the same issue?

Mcha.1
Associate

Hi,​

When I select it on a build error, it tries to read a file with a strange path. As a result, vscode says it's a non-existent file.

KYama.1
Associate III

Hi,

I face the problem gdb cannot run on MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a) on M1.

I got this error message at stating gdb.

0693W00000bjTIbQAM.jpgIt seems that gdb is not signed.

I confirmed that it is not signed.

0693W00000bjTIlQAM.pngHowever, I can run it on terminal as;

0693W00000bjTJKQA2.pngHow to solve my issue?

Please give me your idea. Thanks.