cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 VS Code Extension and Devcontainer

pcb
Associate II

I am a happy VSCode developer using docker devcontainers to create an easily reproducible environment for development. I am struggling with a strange bug with the "STM32 VS Code Extension" (v2.0.1).

If I try to access it, after opening the container, I get the following error:
"Cannot activate the 'STM32 VS Code Extension' extension because it depends on the 'C/C++ Extension Pack' extension, which is not loaded. Would you like to reload the window to load the extension?"

This is strange because the C/C++ Extension Pack is loaded and part of my dev container.

I have the option to "Reload Window", but hitting it only results in a reload and the same message popping back up.

Has anyone been able to use this vscode extension inside a devcontainer?

Joachim Spange
Head in the embedded
13 REPLIES 13
Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

Hi @pcb 

we are currently trying to reproduce the issue, we will keep you informed.

Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

Hi @pcb 

Could you please attach the content of 'output' 'debug console' and 'terminal' windows when you are getting the issue please ? 

pcb
Associate II

Thank you for looking into this, @Nawres GHARBI 

"Debug Console" and "Terminal" are both empty, no text there.

See attached photo.

Joachim Spange
Head in the embedded

Same problem here:

mongolracer_0-1713788315704.png

reinstalled, rebooted etc etc.

Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

hello @pcb @mongolracer 

could you please follow the steps in this link and give your feedback

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-python/issues/15972

@Nawres GHARBI I don't understand what you want me to do here.

Please elaborate.

I have Jupyter, pylance, and python extensions in vscode and STM32 VS Code extension works.

In my devcontainer I have none of them installed, the there the STM32 VS Code extension does not work.

Joachim Spange
Head in the embedded
kmcwithey
Associate

I'm having the same issue.  It looks like the STM32 VS Code extension is installing locally instead of in the container.  Since C/C++ extension is installed in the container, STM32 VS Code extension doesn't see it.  

Ideally, STM32 VS Code Extension and STM32CubeMX should be in the container so we can generate code to the source directory in the container.  That way we don't have to make the source directory available to the host (major performance hit while compiling), or sync it through a remote GIT repo (creates unnecessary commits, and add an unnecessary step to the process).  

kmcwithey_0-1714486115202.png

marca
Associate

I'm having the same issue. Any News?

kestrel
Associate

Experiencing the same issue. I think it it a problem of the STM32 VS Code Extension.

It is stil not fixed by now.

Docker 27.0.2, Run container in privileged mode.

kestrel_2-1719853992086.png