cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I find BootROM traces error codes ?

bfh_dls
Associate II

I am debugging a STM32MP1 boot but the bootrom does not manage to boot the FSBL from the SDMMC interface.

I extracted the traces and ran the bootrom trace analyzer script. However, some of the error messages contain error codes for which I could not find an explanation.

The relevant lines are:

< @ 00981105 | [ERR ] - SD_OverallRetryCnt ( 0x00000003 ) >
< @ 00981491 | [ERR ] - SD_InitDetailedErrorDesc ( 0x00000029 ) >
< @ 00981907 | [ERR ] - SD_InitFailed >

What do the hexadecimal codes mean (the 0x00000003 and 0x00000029)?

In case it is needed, the full output from the script is attached.

Thank you for your help

5 REPLIES 5
PatrickF
ST Employee

HI @bfh_dls​ 

value in parenthesis are not always error codes, but rather various parameters for more deep analysis by our internal team if needed.

For instance, here "( 0x00000003 )" shows that 3 retries has been done.

or later "BOOTCORE_HseFrequencyDetected ( 0x00000018 ) " reflect that 24MHz (0x18=24 decimal) has been detected on HSE.

On my side, I have not enough information for the "( 0x00000029 )" meaning.

But as the Bootrom.log file you share is exactly the same I got on one of our board (e.g. STM32MP157F-DK2) with no SD-Card connected. I suspect a more basic issue.

Please check:

• SD-Card pinout on your custom board (beware of non standard numbering on some SD-Card sockets)
  • presence of 3.3V SD-Card supply
  • CLK presence on pin PC12 during boot (will likely stop after few tens of ms if error is detected)
  • some CMD activity on pin PD2. Inactive level should be 'high'
  • D0 (usually card response) on pin PC8. Inactive level should be 'high'

Btw, did you use level translator between STM32MP15x and SD-Card (e.g. to support UHS-I) or a simple and direct connection ?

If you still have issue, maybe worth to share your schematics.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
bfh_dls
Associate II

Thank you for your answer.

I confirmed that I get the same bootrom trace when using a demo board without SD card.

I don't have a level translator on my lines but an EMI filter (EMIF06-MSD02N16).

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

Did you have a look to SD-Card signals as I proposed above ?

If no clock, there is likely an Hw issue as BootROM log show that the SD-Card trial is correctly done.

• mixed-up SOM pinout or PCB library
  • mixed-up SD-Card pinout or PCB library
  • mixed-up EMI filter pinout or PCB library
  • etc...

Looking at your schematics does not give much information to me.

As you use a SOM from a 3rd party (assuming this is a working module), you could double check your SOM pinout/schematics Vs the official baseboard documentation provided by the SOM maker.

Maybe worth to contact the SOM maker.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

I may have found an issue on your schematics.

There is two different supply names: +3.3V and +3V3.

Please confirm both are connected together.

Regards.

bfh_dls
Associate II

Hi Patrick,

The +3.3V and +3V3 are indeed connected together, the naming will be fixed in the schematic to avoid confusion though.

I did test the SD card interface with an oscilloscope and did not get a signal. I will check the PCB in detail.

I will also try the SDcard interface without EMI protection to make sure it does not interfere with communication.

Regards,