cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When updating from arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r1 to arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r2 I get PANIC on UART

cfilipescu
Senior

I didn't change anything in the device tree just compiled the arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r2 instead of arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r1 and I get the following on UART:

PANIC at PC : 0x2ffcfd2b

What is different between the two versions?

48 REPLIES 48
AlexandrShipovsky
Associate III

Hi @cfilipescu​ ,

I had a similar problem. It turned out that tfa did not configure the power chip that is on the board. On my STM32MP157A-DK1, it connected to I2C 4. When I edited my device tree, everything worked. (I just copied part of the code that ST supplies)

You are correct I am using the "legacy" BSP partitioning without FIP.

I must be compiling it correctly if it works in DV3.0, and I don't see any changes when it comes to DV3.1.

@AlexandrShipovsky​ I encountered that problem before but the device tree has the correct user data.

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @cfilipescu​ ,

Trace you are providing still make me think about a Device Tree problem around clock or power.

Even with a miss configuration wrt STM32MP_USE_STM32IMAGE=1 you should not have crash until trial to launch the next step ( ssbl or fip )

Could you please share your Device Tree file ?

Thanks

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Else, are you using git or package from st.com for sources ?

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Community member​  here is a link to the device tree

https://pastebin.com/1gwJcx00

Sorry, the link is not working for me.

Again I need further information about your context and WoW.

You said arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r1 was and is working.

I understand you succeed to build an image DV3.0 with in legagy mode ( SSBL partition instread of FIP) right ?

Did you use Distribution package or developper package to set this up ?

Since "legacy" imply TF-A, uboot and flashlayout change, distribution package is a good choice.

Following recommandation in Release note :

Note that if no FIP binary support is expected, meaning use legacy mode with stm32 header binary files for bootloaders, remove 'fip' from MACHINE_FEATURES configuration on machine file with:

MACHINE_FEATURES_remove = "fip"

Now when you tell, updating from arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r1 to arm-trusted-firmware-v2.4-stm32mp-r2, how did you do that ?

This imply you also get the update of Uboot etc..

Probably redo the full image generation from Distribution is the fast forward way to go.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN

Hi @Community member​,

Some clarification from my side is necessary since I use buildroot to create my image.

In buildroot I specify the git sources for compiling the arm-trusted-firmware along with compile flags, platform, architecture. I also made my custom device tree into a patch that gets applied to the arm-trusted-firmware source file such that the device tree exists in the source. I do use SSBL partition.

When I say I upgrade I just changed the git tag from r1 to r2 so that buildroot checkout out the updated source code and compiles it.

Uboot and Linux kernel are the same so I can point them to different git tags and therefore mix and match. Right now uboot and Linux are both the latest version.

I also define a custom sdcard layout/partition table and I specify what image to use for each partition, which uses the legacy images.

I have created another link to the device tree: https://pastebin.com/7cikMx27

Since I am using buildroot I understand if this is outside the scope of this forum.

Hi @cfilipescu​ ,

Ok, indeed a key information !

Since ST and Bootlin company announced partnership from DV3.1 to support an official buildroot distribution this community is opened to this topic !

But, so far, I can not help you further and will point you to Bootlin support space you will find at this link :

Announcing buildroot-external-st, Buildroot support for STM32MP1 platforms - Bootlin's blog

Hope it help,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN

That is good to hear, I used their articles from a few years ago on how to get buildroot going so I will look at their repo and hopefully I can figure it out from there.