cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] How to make Yocto to patch the kernel with Preempt-RT? for STM32MP1

A.M.
Associate III

Hi!

STM32MP1 provides a real-time core, and we use it for the hard-real time. But additionally, we would need the application running on the two fast cores to also be real-time. (with softer constraints but still better than standard scheduling on Linux).

For this, I added to the yocto project, at (not the best place, but just trying to make it to work for now):

Layers/meta-st/meta-st-openstlinux/conf/distro/openstlinux-weston.conf

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-yocto-rt"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(stm32mp1)"

But then, I get the following errors:

ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'quilt-native'

quilt-native was skipped: incompatible with machine stm32mp1 (not in COMPATIBLE_MACHINE)

ERROR: Required build target 'st-image-weston' has no buildable providers.

Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['st-image-weston', 'quilt-native']

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hi, an x-linux expansion package is available to get the linux real time patches from the linux foundation project. This expansion package is a yocto layer you have just to add to your openstlinux yocto project.

This package should be available publicly soon. But it is also available in private github.

So if you are interested to get it now, I will send you an invitation to join this private github.

Just let me know.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hi, an x-linux expansion package is available to get the linux real time patches from the linux foundation project. This expansion package is a yocto layer you have just to add to your openstlinux yocto project.

This package should be available publicly soon. But it is also available in private github.

So if you are interested to get it now, I will send you an invitation to join this private github.

Just let me know.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Getting access to that layer would be fantastic, so yes, I am interested indeed.

I would also need read-only access to the project repo, thank you.

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

This is done.

A.M.
Associate III

Trying this code, it seems to be an issue with libc build:

ERROR: glibc-2.35-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: glibc-2.35-r0 do_compile: ExecutionError('/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/temp/run.do_compile.2259', 1, None, None)

Seems related with undefined `____strtof_l_internal`

Not sure where this comes from.

Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing python function autotools_aclocals
| DEBUG: SITE files ['endian-little', 'bit-32', 'arm-common', 'arm-32', 'common-linux', 'common-glibc', 'arm-linux', 'arm-linux-gnueabi', 'common']
| DEBUG: Python function autotools_aclocals finished
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile

| make -j 4 subdir=mathvec -C mathvec ..=../ others
| make[2]: Entering directory '/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/git/mathvec'
| make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'others'.
| make[2]: Leaving directory '/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/git/mathvec'
| make -j 4 subdir=support -C support ..=../ others
| make[2]: Entering directory '/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/git/support'
| arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -mthumb -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 --sysroot=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot -o /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/support/test-run-command -nostdlib -nostartfiles -static   -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed -fmacro-prefix-map=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0=/usr/src/debug/glibc/2.35-r0                      -fdebug-prefix-map=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0=/usr/src/debug/glibc/2.35-r0                      -fdebug-prefix-map=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot=                      -fdebug-prefix-map=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot-native=  -fuse-ld=bfd  /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/csu/crt1.o /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/csu/crti.o `arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -mthumb -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 --sysroot=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot  --print-file-name=crtbeginT.o` /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/support/test-run-command.o /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/elf/static-stubs.o /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/support/libsupport_nonshared.a -Wl,-z,now -Wl,--start-group /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/libc.a -lgcc /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/elf/libgcc-stubs.a -Wl,--end-group `arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -mthumb -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 --sysroot=/root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot  --print-file-name=crtend.o` /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/csu/crtn.o
| /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/../../libexec/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/11.3.0/ld.bfd: /root_yocto_folder/build-openstlinuxX11-stm32mp15-rt/tmp-glibc/work/cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi/glibc/2.35-r0/build-arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/libc.a(strtof.o): in function `__strtof_internal':

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
ERROR: Task (/root_yocto_folder/layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/glibc/glibc_2.35.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Did you experienced this?

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

No. Could you please describe from which SW setup you started before to apply the x-linux-rt meta layer ? Which version ? Which distribution ?

The meta layer is supposed to be applied on top of V4.1 OSTL.

A.M.
Associate III

Hi!

It seems I had the MACHINE set as stm32mp1 in some places and stm32mp15 for the RT recipe,which caused the issue. I cleaned the build cache and now it went much further (still building).

I hope this layer will be made public soon 🙂

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

ok great ! from V3 to V4, Some machines when to stm32mp1 to manage both stm32mp15 and stm32mp13 (was publicly announced this week).

A.M.
Associate III

The build succeeded and I could install the image on the STM32MP157.

uname -a

Correctly indicates PREEMPT_RT

However, running the cyclictest does not gives really good results:

root@stm32mp1-rt:/# cyclictest --priority 99 -a
WARN: stat /dev/cpu_dma_latency failed: No such file or directory
policy: fifo: loadavg: 1.50 0.99 0.77 2/245 4452

T: 0 ( 4401) P:99 I:1000 C:  45745 Min:     16 Act:   51 Avg:   42 Max:     623

Did you also get similar numbers?