cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the tools all over my hard disk?

unicycle
Associate III

I have been following the video to install tools and whatnot for STM32WB. So far, STM32CubeMX was installed in C:\Program Files, STM32CubeWB support was installed in a C:\Users for some reason, STM32CubeIDE was installed in C:\ST. I almost dare not continue. I get that it is necessary to download gigabytes of junk just to try out my P-NUCLEO-WB55 but why is it sprayed all over my hard drive like this?

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Because of the limitations that you have as a Windows user. For example, the path length is limited, which is why the STM32CubeIDE must be installed in a directory with the shortest possible path, and with write access if you don't want to experience any nasty surprises. You don't have these limitations with Linux and MacOSX.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Mike_ST
ST Employee

Under STM32CubeIde you can choose where to download the Software Packages (instead of C:\Users\)

=>Menu Windows => Preferences => STM32Cube => Firmware Updater => Repository Setup

Same option exists in STM32CubeMX in Menu Help => Updater Settings => Repository Folder.

Ah. Thanks for the reply. I'd suggest just making C:\ST the default in all cases, for consistency, but I suppose that was already considered. Not to worry. I have the examples working and can now trawl the code...

Hi,

I agree with @Community member​ , please ST, use C:\ST from now on for all your software installation paths.

Even if it breaks previously installed products, otherwise it will stay a mess like this for ever.

Best regards.

Trick here is NOT to let tools install to default directories.

Access to "Program Files" is obfuscated to protect against viruses, malware, etc. and further hacks virtualize content into User directories. Microsoft/Windows never really understood the linkage UNIX afforded.

But yes, some coherent method/plan would be desirable, but unlikely to be executed.

More wisen devs would share details between apps or check location of other products in the installer, and the tools would be smarter in the directories/defaults offered forth. Smaller companies tend to be more aware of the support costs, and what's driving them..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
  1. The maximum path length is limited to 32767 characters. If Cube has a 260 character or other limitation, then it's the limitation of Cube, Eclipse, Java or some libraries or other components of it.
  2. The ProgramData and AppData folders have write access for simple users and are meant for storing application data.
  3. Simple users not having write access to the Program Files folders on Windows is the same as simple users not having write access to bin folders on Linux systems. It's not a limitation but a security feature.