cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB BLE - Update Char from main.c

werner_f
Associate II

Hello,

I'm pretty new in working with STM32WB-Chips and trying to implement a BLE-Application.

I am using a STM32WB55 Chip and for initial steps I created a project using Cube IDE and a Custom Template according to ST's "Getting Started" - Series on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYWy7LKL68&list=PLnMKNibPkDnG9JRe2fbOOpVpWY7E4WbJ-&index=16).
This works in general and I can read and write characteristics using the BLE Toolbox App on my smartphone.

Now I want to update a characteristic value from my main-function, e.g. to distribute new sensor data via BLE.
I added the needed header files in my main and try to call the functions 
Custom_STM_App_Update_Char() or aci_gatt_update_char_value().The compiler gives me no warnings or errors, but calling this functions in the main loop leads to a HardFault during runtime.
Stepping into showed that the HardFault occurs after calling the 
static void SendCmd()-function probably.

Calling this functions from custom_stm.c works fine, e.g. if I am calling it in an Event_Handler after a read access there. So probably some parameters in my main.c are missing.

Problably I am just doing something stupidly wrong and don't get it. So how can i easilly update a characteristic value from a main function if new data is available?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @werner_f 

The easiest way is to replace the message that the program is already sending by the data you want to send. By : 

• Creating a variable in main.h this variable will always  receive the data in the main.c (include main.h first)
  • Call this variable in the sending function in the ble_app (after including main.h to ble_app.c too).

Best regards .

II

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @werner_f 

The easiest way is to replace the message that the program is already sending by the data you want to send. By : 

• Creating a variable in main.h this variable will always  receive the data in the main.c (include main.h first)
  • Call this variable in the sending function in the ble_app (after including main.h to ble_app.c too).

Best regards .

II

Thank you, like this I can now transfer my own data using the BLE stack.

But I want to run my code in server mode and want to send a notification to the client(smartphone) everytime new data occurs. How can I trigger this event from my main code? Just updating the buffer seems not to be enough. 

Right now, I am calling the update_char() function in my ble_app.c everytime an event occurcs, i.e. if the client reads a characteristic it is getting updated. This works fine. But I want to notify the client that new data is available without the client asking for it.

Hello again @werner_f 

Happy to now about your progress.

I suggest you to close this post by choosing a best answer and ask your second question in a new post to give it more visibility. Personally, I'm not understanding your new request.

Best regards.

II

Okay, I'll try to ask more precisely in another thread. Many thanks for your help.