cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB BLE OTA Losing Connection during Firmware update

SCARAMO
Associate II

Dear Community,

I'm using a P-NUCLEO-WB55 Board and Dongle, until now only with ST examples.

I'm trying to perform firmware update using BLE OTA (switching from BLE_HeartRate_ota to BLE_p2pServer_ota for example) and am facing a problem.

The same problem appears if I Use STM32 CUBE Monitor-RF on PC with P-NUCLEO Dongle or using STM BLE Sensor App on Android smartphone.

Here is my issue:

I can find my device and start an OTA update.

Flashing starts and very frequently, it suddenly stops, like if connection was lost.

I checked, I have a stable power supply.

Could you please give me any hint on how to proceed for debugging?

Thanks and best regards

3 REPLIES 3
Remy ISSALYS
ST Employee

Hello,

First check if you have the latest firmware version on your board:

• FUS v1.2.0
  • BLE Stack (stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin) v1.13.0

If you need to update your firmware download the latest release (available here https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubewb.html) and follow the instruction of this wiki page:

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/Connectivity:STM32WB_BLE_Hardware_Setup#FUS_and_wireless_stack_update

Then flash your board with BLE_Ota_reference.hex available in STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.13.0\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_Ota\Binary.

Download on your smartphone BLE_HeartRate_ota_reference.bin and BLE_p2pServer_ota_reference.bin files.

Take your smartphone with ST BLE Sensor application:

• Click on Connect one Device
  • Connect to your device STM_OTA
  • Once connection is established select BLE_HeartRate_ota_reference.bin for example by clicking on select file
  • Click on bottom left button
  • Pop up appears when upload is completed
  • Then connect to your new application HRSTM

More informations about OTA process is available in AN5247.

Best Regards

Dear Remy,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I was working with FUS v1.2.0 and BLE Stack v1.12.1, so I tried to update to the last available revision v1.13.1, but the described problem remains and another appears.

Again, I'm working with ST Hardware, and ST binary files.

In addition, I have 2 P-Nucleo Boards and 3 dongles... what I describe here appears with whatever of them I use.

With v1.12.1, firmware update using Cube RF and Nucleo Dongle:

a) BLE_OTA            -> BLE_HeartRate_ota   : OK, no problems

b) BLE_HeartRate_ota  -> BLE_P2PServer_ota   : OK, no problems

c) BLE_P2PServer_ota  -> BLE_HeartRate_ota   : Error, gets stuck while flashing

With v1.13.1 :

a) Using Cube RF and Nucleo Dongle I'm even not able to detect the P-Nucleo Board anymore...

b) Using Android MobilePhone and ST Sensor App I detect the P-Nucleo Board

c) and start flashing. But again, there is an error, the app gets stuck while flashing

d) And finally I lost my P-Nucleo board... ST-Link tells me there is no device on target...

e) I tried to connect to the P-Nucleo boards with USB, but no FSU is detected.

So, I'm now unable to connect to my P-Nucleo Boards and really don't know how to come out of this.

Thank you in advance for your support,

Best Regards

SCARAMO
Associate II

Follow up from my last post:

I managed to reconnect my P-Nucleo Board, thaks to this post:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/204996/stm32-st-link-cannot-connect-to-mcu-after-successful-programming

Howto:

• Open STM32 Cube programmer
  • Select ST-Link connection, refresh le st-link serial number
  • Connect the P-Nucleo Board to the PC
  • Click and hold the reset button of the P-Nucleo board
  • Release the button and immediately click on "connect" in the STM32 Cube programmer
  • The STM32 Cube programmer should now finally be able to reconnect to the P-Nucleo Board.
  • Perform a full chip flash memory erase, so that the code that creates the problem is removed.

Hope it helps