cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LoRa --- stm32wle5

SWenn.1
Senior III

I would like to do peer - peer stuff and experiment with LoRa.....

Question: Do I use the LoRaWan stack when I am doing peer - peer, or is that strictly used when I want to communicate to a gateway?

Is there literature that explains all the settings in CubeMX when I turn on the Lora module?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Ping-Pong P2P examples use LoRa, directly, you can change them to FSK, GFSK, MSK, GMSK if you want.

Yes, you can use LoRa (radio/modulation) from the outset, in all those modes of operation, you're just pushing bytes into the Radio chip, they get sent with whatever modulation options have been selected. All nodes will see the data you throw into the air.

Beyond the modulation you'd have to get involved in the byte level content, Station ID, integrity, time, etc, and the filtering and selection of that a the receiving end.

The Ping-Pong is a good starting point for RC or telemetry radios, though I might suggest a better decomposition of the code into a Sender and Listener type operational modes too.

LoRaWAN is a whole other load of clag layered on top of the radio, and gets to be a "protocol" in the end-to-end sense.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Danish1
Lead II

“Ping-pong�? examples are a better start for peer-to-peer code.

Lorawan needs a much more powerful radio as the other end. (My understanding is that a Lorawan gateway needs to be listening on all channels all the time).

As to documentation, I haven’t found anything of value beyond the source-code itself. I’d love to learn otherwise.

Hope this helps,

Danish

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Yes, LoRaWAN® is strictly the "star of stars" structure with Nodes, Gateways, Servers, etc - defined by the LoRa Alliance:

0693W00000QKOmhQAH.png 

https://lora-alliance.org/about-lorawan/

As @Danish​ said, look at the "Ping-Pong" example for simple peer-to-peer LoRa comms.

SWenn.1
Senior III

@Andrew Neil​ Thank you I am looking at the peer - peer stuff now. More detailed questions:

1. In peer to peer can you use LoRa modulation or do you end up just using the SubGHz (FSK)?
  2. can I do a peer - multipeer communciation (like a remote control and a bunch of sensors) using the LoRa modulation? If so where would I start (with the ping - pong and add LoRa somehow OR with LoRa End Node Application and removing certain features that use the stack)?

Thanks

The Ping-Pong P2P examples use LoRa, directly, you can change them to FSK, GFSK, MSK, GMSK if you want.

Yes, you can use LoRa (radio/modulation) from the outset, in all those modes of operation, you're just pushing bytes into the Radio chip, they get sent with whatever modulation options have been selected. All nodes will see the data you throw into the air.

Beyond the modulation you'd have to get involved in the byte level content, Station ID, integrity, time, etc, and the filtering and selection of that a the receiving end.

The Ping-Pong is a good starting point for RC or telemetry radios, though I might suggest a better decomposition of the code into a Sender and Listener type operational modes too.

LoRaWAN is a whole other load of clag layered on top of the radio, and gets to be a "protocol" in the end-to-end sense.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SWenn.1
Senior III

Perfect thank you!!....What is the best approach to taking the ping pong example(Nucleo WL55) and using an STM32WLE5 part (single core)? I created a project using STM32WLE5 (I am using a Seeed FCC module) and would like to somehow import the file structure ping pong but this uses the Nucleo WL55.....

Hey! I am struggling with the same problem.. 

i have 2 STM32WLE single core and want to achieve LoRa Ping pong between them 868MHz. Did you achieve this? I have my .ioc file configured correctly, main problem is with code.

Hello @Kubaa123 and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

This post is not active for about 18 months. To give your request more visibility, i suggest you to create a new post to to give more visibility to your request.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.