cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware and software support for STM32WLE5JC

YO.1
Associate II

Hi team, I have been asked to work on STM32WLE5JC development kit. So, I have purchased one kit online. Meanwhile, I would like to know which IDE (for coding) is best to work with the kit as well as the other necessary hardware and software tool chain suitable for my purpose.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Louis AUDOLY
ST Employee

Hello @YO.1​ ,

You can download the code or via st.com website, or from the github page.

Regards

Louis

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tilen MAJERLE
ST Employee

STM32CubeIDE is free for any STM32 product. STM32CubeWL package comes with drivers and examples for your board (assuming you bought NUCLEO-WL55JC)

YO.1
Associate II

Thank You Tilen. The board that I purchased is LoRa-E5 development kit. I shall use the STM32CubeIDE as You have suggested. How do I download the code into the microcontroller? What are all the possible ways, please let me know.

Thanks.

Louis AUDOLY
ST Employee

Hello @YO.1​ ,

You can download the code or via st.com website, or from the github page.

Regards

Louis

Danish1
Lead II

Am I right in thinking that you're talking about the Seeed LoRa E5 and its development kit?

My understanding is that kit has a Seeed LoRa E5 module with a USB-to-serial interface and a few other connectors.

The Seeed LoRa E5 module contains STM32WLE5JC and a SX126X LoRa radio chip. But it is intended to operate with AT commands sent over the serial port - so in the development kit you can send those commands using any PC terminal application. And then it will use LoRaWAN to talk to a LoRa gateway.

I don't think Seeed LoRa E5 makes it easy to write your own code to run on the STM32WLE5JC.

NUCLEO-WL55JC is a much easier platform for this.

YO.1
Associate II

Thank You Danish. Suppose I have connected the Seeed LoRa E5 module with my PC and I am using STM32CubeIDE for writing a code for LED blinking. How can I program/flash/download the code it into the controller (STM32WLE5JC)?

Thanks.

Thanks Louis.

Thank You Danish. Suppose I have connected the Seeed LoRa E5 module with my PC and I am using STM32CubeIDE for writing a code for LED blinking. How can I program/flash/download the code it into the controller (STM32WLE5JC)?

Thanks.

Danish1
Lead II

As I said, Seeed LoRa E5 doesn’t make this easy. And the fact that you’re asking makes me wonder if you have enough existing experience / support to see it through. And (probably much more importantly) if you do go down the route of re-purposing/reprogramming E5, you’re at the mercy of Seeed altering their design and preventing you from doing so in future. Remember ST have their “10 year guarantee“ of production - there’s nothing like that for Seeed.

Having said all that, Seeed bring out the SwDIO/SwClk pins. They don’t bring out the reset pin, but you can put it into “boot’ mode, where a programmer may take control of those lines and thereby download code. It is described on yhe internet, and any programmer that supports SwDIO/SwClk can do that part of the job. StLink is an obvious choice, but I’ve done it with Rowley Crossconnect using their now-discontinued Swd adapter (I think Olimex make a similar adapter). No doubt many other commercial JTAG adapters also support Serial-wire JTAG debug port (SWJ-DP)

I found information on how to do this on the Internet.

But that was with my own custom board with E5, not that development kit. I don’t know if that kit allows such “abuse�? of E5.

Thanks.