cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working example ST32F469DISCO + CubeIDE + TouchGFX 4.13 ?

ADari
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project with GUI. Some time ago, I was able to launch a project from the forum:

https://github.com/Scubaboy/SMT32F7LCDDisco/tree/master/STMF4DISCOCubeIDE

I currently have the latest versions of CubeIDE, CubeMX and TouchGFX 4.13 installed. I'm trying to configure F469DISCO similar to the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42r4xXOnbo

The project is generated, TGFX files also. However, after uploading everything to the board, the screen is black.

Can ST not provide one, ready CUBE IDE project for each Dev board? I see how many people have a configuration problem, many people do not work properly. When a team choosing a platform for a new project, most of the time loses to "fight" with IDE and configuration, they will finally choose a different solution.

After that, the example of TouchGFX from CubeIDE, after importing to workspace, compiles correctly, but displays artifacts ....

Of course, examples from TGFX Designer work fine, but without proper integration with CubeIDE, they are useless (we need to use UART, so I need CubeIDE)

I would be grateful for help (I think that not only me and many others) for the exact description or working CubeIDE project with TGFX 4.13

Regards

Darek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

STM32F469i-DISCO Application template with CubeMX 5.5 and TouchGFX Generator (4.13) is not ready yet.

As stated in the release note, we're working our way through all the existing templates. We just uploaded F769i-disco and H750-DK - 469 will probably come soon.

/Martin

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

STM32F469i-DISCO Application template with CubeMX 5.5 and TouchGFX Generator (4.13) is not ready yet.

As stated in the release note, we're working our way through all the existing templates. We just uploaded F769i-disco and H750-DK - 469 will probably come soon.

/Martin

Hi Martin,

where can I find the F769i-disco template uploaded? Thanks for your good jobs!

You can find it in the TouchGFX Designer when you create a new application. You then choose between simulator or specific STM32 boards. Version 3.0 of the STM32F769I-DISCO board has support for CubeMX 5.5 and Touchgfx Generator.

It comples complete with the SDRAM/QSPI/Touch controller configuration that is not delivered default by CubeMX (since it's BSP).

/Martin

iw2lsi
Associate II

Thanks to embryonic.dk for sharing this great guide... by following it we were able to start in minutes and not hours or days, as sadly happens when dealing with official docs.

We really spent a lot of time concentrating on the wrong stuff ("start from CubeIDE or CubeMX ?", "generate under root or not?", "allocate framebuffer by address or by allocation ?" and so on... when the main problem was just that CubeMX does not generate the full code for (SD)RAM, external (QSPI)FLASH , touch controller etc when selecting one of ST's well known development board, AND without a single warning informing the user about this.

I understand that the integration of TouchGFX is somehow in progress... but as far I understand a lot of developers have been misled by CubeMX option for initialize the peripherals... so why not be a little more specific on this ?

Best Regards,

Giampaolo

> but as far I understand a lot of developers have been misled by CubeMX option for initialize the peripherals... so why not be a little more specific on this ?

Until CubeMX decides to rebrand this feature people will continue to be puzzled. I've mentioned it to them before. As far as being more "specific" on this, i must have written this 100000000 times 🙂 And also, this is in the sticky at the top related to X-CUBE 4.13.

CubeMX is a tool for configuring your MCU.

CubeMX is not a tool for completely configuring peripherals like touch controllers and external memories.

Hi Martin,

I appreciate your effort... really...

maybe you can hilight a little bit the sentence below in the TouchGFX HAL Development guide... al least until ST put it where it should be... i.e. in CubeMX application, before or after the platform's code generation (but this is, of course, my opinion).

>For DSI, FMC and SPI interfaces this version of the TouchGFX Generator is not capable of properly abstracting these interfaces >using what is available from CubeMX and thus it is up to the user to implement the drivers. In the case of LTDC, however, the TouchGFX >Generator can supply the driver which is generated and configured automatically.

Regarding the stiky message... we had already spent one or two days before we get into it...

thanks again,

Giampaolo

Hi @iw2lsi​,

Your feedback is valuable. It's become apparent to me that the board selector is the #1 most confusing thing in this tool chain (probably not, but that's how it feels atm). The whole reason for us branching out into our own X-CUBE is that we're more in control with what gets done and when it gets done.

The best thing we can do is try to convince the CubeMX team to rename the Board Selector functionality. Apart from that i think that we will require people to have read some documentation before proceeding. There's a limit to what we can put into an IDE that we know people will read, but i can put some general information into the "Additional Software" selector for sure - I guess that may help.

/Martin

Martin, can you give any estimate when the 3.0 version for F469 will be ready? If it will take a month+ then I better start thinking alternatives for my project.

No guarantees. What exactly is it you need? Maybe there's an alternative.,