cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the .ioc file not appearing on a touch GFX project when opened in the cube IDE?

MBode.2
Associate II

I am tryin to create a gui project with a hardware interface to the LEDs and pushbuttons on a DISC1 evaluation board. The .ioc file isn't appearing to allow me to configure the project IO interrupts etc.

Is there an option that I need to confugure within the cube IDE?

7 REPLIES 7
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @MBode.2​, to the community!

thanks for the question, but bow you just have to tell us what exactly you mean by DISC1, because there are currently four different boards. However, I assume that you are talking about the STM32F429I-DISC1?

Then it would be interesting to know how you created the project: with the TouchGFX application or from the STM32CubeIDE?

Anyway: in the first case TouchGFX creates for every board that is currently supported an IOC in the project folder when the source code is generated. This IOC has the same name as the board for which it was generated, in the case of STM32F429I-DISC1 this is typically STM32F429I_DISCO_REV_E01.ioc.

STM32CubeIDE does essentially the same thing: when you create a project in the workspace with it, the IOC is created in the root of the project folder, but here it is named identical to the project name.

So in both cases there is normally an IOC generated. If this is not the case, you should specify in detail which requirements are present (hardware, software incl. version number, operating system) and how you proceeded.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Karl Yamashita
Lead II

You just have to drag and drop the IOC onto the project tree. Another downside of TouchGFX generating code is that even though you named the project in TouchGFX, when importing the project into STM32CubeIDE, it uses the board name as the project name.

Well you can't import two different TouchGFX generated projects that use the same board name at the same time in the workspace. The IDE indicates the project already exists even though they are two different projects in two different folders. You have to delete the project from the IDE workspace (not the actual files on disk), then import the other project. It's been like that for years and it seems like ST isn't going to fix that issue.

See this video as it shows you how to rename the project to a useful name. That way you can have two or more projects imported at the same time in the workspace that use the same development board. It also shows how to add the IOC file to the project so you can open the IOC from the project tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizWAlbU4Og

You can jump to the renaming here https://youtu.be/AizWAlbU4Og?t=150

If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Thanks Karl.

I had already presented the renaming and also entered it as a proposal in the Idea Zone - in the meantime, the proposal has reached a somewhat newer status. Let's see when it will be implemented, until then I'll do it with a simple text editor.

BTW: You can still vote for it. 😊

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MBode.2
Associate II

Firstly thank you both for your quick replies @Peter BENSCH​ , @Community member​ 

Apologies for the lack of detail in my first submission allow me elaborate a little.

I am using the STM32F429I-DISC1 evaluation board.

Work to date

I have created both a Cube IDE project (v1.8.0) and created the basic push button to light and LED and a pulsing LED project.

I then created a touch GFX project (v4.20.0) just containing the analogue clock showing on the screen.

I imported both into a workspace and debugged each individually, everything was working ok. I now want them within the same project so i can use the GUI to control external hardware and read ADCs etc. This is where I have been having issues.

Next Step

Is there a way to import the touch GFX files into an existing cube IDE project or is it best to start with the GUI project and then open that with the cube IDE file that is auto generated?

This is the next goal of a GUI and the .ioc within a single cube IDE project so that i can properly configure and debug the project as i go.

From your responses, namely the one from @Community member​ it is simply a matter of rename and drag an .ioc into the project then i'm able to configure the peripherals, interrupts etc within a single cube IDE project?

MBode.2
Associate II

Hi @Community member​ , @Peter BENSCH​ 

I have tried the renaming from your video on youtube Karl and i'm still having issues with the build and debug of the code. Once i have changed the name it will not allow me to make any changes to the GUI in touch GFX and seems to have added an extenstion onto the chosen application name. I have called my project Mk0-Eval, the full name of the .ioc is now Mk0-Eval_REV_E01. I haven't named it that it seems to have added it on and now errors occur on the build in the cube IDE or in the touchGFX i cannot generate the code.

Any ideas on what i've done wrong?

Kind Regards

Mark

Karl Yamashita
Lead II

The IOC file has to be the same name as the Project name. Then all relevant files has to have the text within renamed the same as well. Also I don't know if you read the description? But I did miss a couple of .touchfgx files that have to have the text renamed as well or TouchGFX will not be able to generate the source code.

If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.
MBode.2
Associate II

@Community member​ 

I have managed to handle the full renaming etc. So thank you for that. It does seem that this should be an auto generated but never the less i have reached that point.

However I am still getting errors when I load the .ioc file up and then generate the code. I have attached the screen shot that you can see below.0693W00000YA4BeQAL.png 

Do you have any previous experience of this or how to fix it?

Kind regards

Mark