cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f769 test project issue

Kyrpav
Associate III

I am new and trying to learn touchgfx and stm32. I have stm32f769 disco. and i am want to ask 2 things.

First i tried to make project using the relative template and it seems that i worked, i placed just a button and it works normally. Then i tried to open the project from CubeIDE but after compilation i get black screen .

My second try is about the tutorial in documentation, the proposal is to use from cubemx a template setup for the board. In this case from Cubeide when you create project for the board then ltdc has issues dspi has also and it does not work. Also in the documentation you talk only about spi setup which is different then DSPI which probably needs dspihost setup...

https://support.touchgfx.com/docs/development/board-bring-up/how-to/03-display-internal

What it works is if from the cubeide you create the touchgfx example that does not have cubemx file at all so i can not identify easily the complete setup. But from the code they setup several thing with dspihost and ltdc and interrupts

What is the proper order to do things? 

9 REPLIES 9
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @Kyrpav,

The easy way to start is to open TouchGFX Designer and select the appropriate TouchGFX Board Setup.

In your case it is the STM32F769I Discovery Kit :

YoannKLEIN_0-1687247191218.png

Then, you can either start a blank application by click on the "Create" button, or navigate to the Examples/Demo tab to start your application with a example project.

After creating the project, it should already contain the basic software and hardware configuration required to make your project run on the board.

If you want to run your project in STM32CubeIDE, you only have to click on the "Generate code" button in TouchGFX Designer :

YoannKLEIN_1-1687247420270.png

You should be able to compile and run your application with STM32CubeIDE after that :)

If you want to change something in your hardware/software configuration, you have to open the .ioc file of your project in STM32CubeMX. For that, you can simply double-click on this file at the root of your project : 

YoannKLEIN_2-1687247558855.png

Don't forget to regenerate code with STM32CubeMX after modifying something there.

YoannKLEIN_3-1687247604271.png

Hope that it helps.

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

After exactly what you discribe i get errors it doe not compile or screen i black. Or maybe to be accurate what if i want to edit again the same project in touchgfx.

Imagin the case i make what you propose by placing only one button on screen and then i want to edit the project again. i was opening the .part file (if i remember well) changing things but compile breaks and cause of this i get black screen

MM..1
Chief II

You little mix defs . Name for bus used on display is DSI. And yes configure and start DSI display isnt simple.

For beginer i see only way use only TochGFX prepared examples. When you step up you can edit in IDE.

Try better write what you do ... how you open project in IDE ...

cause i understand that initiation and drivers for a display is not an easy thing , i exactly did what was proposed,

• created a project from touchgfx for the specific discovery kit,
  • created code from the touchgfx
  • imported the project in CubeIde
  • edited something in ioc file (cube mx) 
  • generate code and try to run in display
  • opened from IDE .part file to open the designer
  • try to make changes in designer and re-generate code from touchgfx

This last part failed.

Also project name from touchgfx is different from what the IDE wants to see cause of the name of the .ioc file generated.

Ok after step 2 add run on target test if all works.
Import how, i use way create empty workspace in IDE then double click .project file in right project folder.
No edit in MX , this dont work and corrupt 50% touchgfx generated projects.
For next edititng no open part file , but touchgfx file (part is recreated from MX ...) 
edit files in IDE and build you can in both systems only if not files add. After new files you can build only in IDE.
Too load only from IDE then. And for discovery with external flash you need config loader...
All your points from 3 up is for advanced users.
And if you need manage ioc , then steps is complete different and more advanced.

so let me ask something more. 

If i understand well if i want to re-edit the gui i have to user touchgfx file and not the .part. 

What is problem of adding files and what files are you talking about? If i want to add a library to handle a sensor then i should not use again touchgfx designer and use only the IDE?

Also if i do not add any file at that time can i go to open touchgfx file in designer and then add what ever i want an change the complete setup? Is it going to compile normally again if i hit generate code (of course it is the same if i hit run on target?)

Hello.

Please note Yoann's advice to open .ioc file on the stand-alone cubeMX, not in the integrated version in IDE. (Name of ioc differs from project name so it wont open from IDE).

What was the exact problem when you write that last part failed ?

Kyrpav
Associate III

Hi , i did not want to open ioc in cubeMX standalone i want to open it in perspective inside IDE so this means that i want to open ioc inside IDE.

When i opened the part file from IDE , it opens the designer but then it was giving errors and one time it was just black as screen. I was under the impression

• at the first time that i have changed something in ico that i was not supposed but i do not know what are the things that should  not be touched at all. Is there any suggestion?
  • also though changing the .part in designer without changing the ioc also failed in a second try.(or i missed something to describe).

Irelevant where yuo open ioc = project is corrupted after regenerate code.

And aroung TouchGFX i say about 3 buttons generate simulate run on target.

Normaly you can use all, except you add files and code that block last two. Only generate then is used .

After generate changes in GUI swith into IDE and build load here.