cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How set graphic on display with STM32 MCU?

stefyanna
Associate II

Hi,

I have this embedded display with resolution of 800x480, MIKROE-3620 which host at the back the STM32 MCU and many other features. I chose the STM32F746ZG as the MCU.

At first I created the project with MXCube, added TouchGFX component, build the project on Cube Ide, then I set the screen with TouchGFX and build it all with no error. The display is still black with no response. I also followed video, setted the SDRAM and QUADSPI, otherwise RAM and FLASH would overflow, but still no response.

With TouchGFX I just set 2 screens with button. A click on the button it would changes the screen.

So at this point, I have many doubts ...

I saw in many videos or documentation the use of LTCD periphery to control TFT display. Is it really necessary in my case, since the board has already a graphic driver? Here's the schematic of the display provided from the company. Even more, I'm afraid that when I activate LTDC, it selects pins that are assigned to others.

I also don't understand the communication protocol of the display. On the manual says that the touch control uses I2C communication, but I don't understand which communication protocol use the display?

I didn't plan to use FreeRTOS, but if it necessary is ok.

Here are some screenshot of SDRAM, QUADSPI and TouchGFX settings. I also uploaded the project.

What I'm doing wrong or I'm missing something?

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bi1O2QAI.png
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bi1O5QAI.png
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bi1OPQAY.png

4 REPLIES 4
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @stefyanna​ ,

I advise you:

• To start with an available example in STM32CubeF7: STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.17.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Demonstrations\TouchGFX.
  • To take a look at his MOOC.

I hope this help you!

Kaouthar.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I actually followed the same step and the display is still black...

Doesn't it use an SSD1963QL9 with 1.2M of internal frame buffer?

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/ssd1963ql9/solomon-systech

Examples from MikroE would be more appropriate than the STM32F746G-DISCO, which drives that screen from an SDRAM based frame buffer, and parallel RGB signals to the display. ie LTDC rastering data from local memory.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes, exactly. It uses SSD1963 LCD display controller. In fact, as the picture shows:

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bi9zxQAA.png 

The LCD_DATA[0-15] (marked with dotted res rectangle "GFX Sig)), WR#, RD#, D/C#, CS# (labelled in yellow) coincide with the pins of connector CN5 of the schematic.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000biA0CQAU.png 

I toook a look on the datasheet and still is not clear how to deal with the chip SSD1963. So far I understood, that I need to deal with a few pins, that are D[0:15], D/C#, CS#, RD#, WR#, RESET#, and TE, as the picture from the pdf shows:

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000biA0HQAU.pngBut how? The datasheet a long command table and description, but I'm confused how to use it....

It also talk about a framebuffer, but how to set it and pass to TouchGFX and MCU STM32?

Any advice?