cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fontconverter not backward compatible ?

SBACO
Associate III

I am using Touchgfx 4.13.0 in my application for a while and decide to upgrade to 4.17.0 (about time you can say). But it seems that the font management evolved, and as my product is upgradable OTA, I cannot really afford to resend all fonts in bluetooth low energy. Is there a way to configure the fontconverter to have an output compatible with previous version ?

I try to get the old one back in the latest touchgfx, but there are not compatible. Hope you can help.

It does not seems so, but does the other tools evolved ? textconverter or imageconverter will have the same issue ?

regards,

15 REPLIES 15
SBACO
Associate III

To be more precise, it seems that the ordmasculine and ordfeminine caractere are not converted the same way (unicode 0x00AA and 0x00BA). The values are different, but more important the size is different, which make all the external memory mapping failed.

SBACO
Associate III

Anybody ?

SBACO
Associate III

Hello, I am sorry for pushing but can anyone confirm the issue and maybe expose a possible workaround ?

Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

You need to make clean and make assets when you update to another version. Could you be more specific on the issues you face ? The FW team does not recall doing changes to the fontconverter, the textconverter got updated for sure however.

/Romain

SBACO
Associate III

Hi Romain,

Thanks for taking time to help me.

The generated files for the fonts, for the same application in the latest version of touchgfx are different. For example, I take this file in my project and extract the 0x00AA character in it. You have the full generated file for both version enclosed.

Old touchgfx (4.13)

Font_hk_grotesk_bold_14_4bpp_0.cpp

// Unicode: [0x00AA, ordfeminine]

0xD4, 0x7D, 0x00, 0x46, 0xE1, 0x01, 0xD7, 0xFE, 0x03, 0x4E, 0xE3, 0x03, 0xE7, 0xBC, 0x03,

New touchgfx (4.17)

Font_hk_grotesk_bold_14_4bpp_0.cpp

// Unicode: [0x00AA, ordfeminine]

0xA3, 0x5B, 0x00, 0x67, 0xE3, 0x01, 0xC6, 0xFD, 0x03, 0x5E, 0xE2, 0x03, 0xE9, 0xDD, 0x03, 0x10,

0x10, 0x00,

And to better understand why this is a problem in our case, it is because the fonts code is place in external flash memory and is not part of our updates (too heavy). So the few more bytes make the update just impossible for us, it means we need to include all fonts in next release if we want to update touchgfx.

SBACO
Associate III

With the same file, generated with touchgfx 4.17. Only 3 differences in it (format of declaration line but do not care) and then characters 0x00AA et 0x00BA.

SBACO
Associate III

@Romain DIELEMAN​ Do you need more information to understand the issue I am facing ?

SBACO
Associate III

Hello, I am sorry for pushing again, but not able to fix the issue without your support.

regards

SBACO
Associate III

Anybody ?