cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Page design

Fereidoun
Associate II

Hello, can you create a dynamic Page with Touchgfx? That means when the board is running, create a new widget. The widget and the number of windows are not predetermined and change while the program is running.

best regard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Fereidoun and welcome to the community!

I have just created a project with a single screen and compared it with the same project but with a second screen. The difference seems too big to be made "by hand" and at runtime.
You should look for a walkaround in m opinion.

1) Can you be more specific on what you want the user to be able to do?
2) What shape should the windows he creates be?
3) What widgets do you want to use.

Regarding adding widgets at runtime, it is not recommended (but possible to an extent) as TouchGFX allocates memory at compilation.
See these posts :

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Software engineer at ST (TouchGFX)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Fereidoun and welcome to the community!

I have just created a project with a single screen and compared it with the same project but with a second screen. The difference seems too big to be made "by hand" and at runtime.
You should look for a walkaround in m opinion.

1) Can you be more specific on what you want the user to be able to do?
2) What shape should the windows he creates be?
3) What widgets do you want to use.

Regarding adding widgets at runtime, it is not recommended (but possible to an extent) as TouchGFX allocates memory at compilation.
See these posts :

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Fereidoun
Associate II

Hello, 

I want to try to build an HMI. I am sending a YouTube video where you can see how an HMI works.
As you can see, when programming we don't know how the user will later design his display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlbYU7Aobwg&list=PLlo8RulDRntjFgCuUTa6az5aNd-AC8r9Q

Best regards

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Fereidoun ,

I know what a HMI is and how it works. TouchGFX is made to design HMI just like we see on the video you shared. We use TouchGFX Designer to create the HMI with drag and drop like on your video.

However, it is the designer/engineer who adds the screens and widgets, but the final user do not add screens or widgets.

I think you can do everything you see on that video by using TouchGFX and TouchGFX Designer and you do not need to worry about the end user adding screens and widgets, you can just add screens and widgets yourself while designing your HMI.

Are we on the same page or did I misunderstood you?

I hope this helps!
If this comment or another one answers your question, I invite you to select it as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hello,

from your explanation I understand that it is not possible to program an HMI with touchgfx. The finished device is used by a wide variety of projects with extremely different display designs. With emwin it is possible. I write my firmware so that later on the display can be redesigned with simple commands written on a USB stick by the end user.

Regards,

tdecker2
Associate III

I think it is possible to create widgets dynamically on heap and add/remove them from the current active screen. But it is not recommended by TouchGFX/ST. This topic was discussed here before, but I can't find it.