cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do I need an SDRAM?

AGeis.4
Associate III

Hello,

I am in the process of making my own circuit board and using an f767 with 144 pins. I have integrated a QSPI and a 40-pin FPC for an 800x480px display. The LTDC is in RGB565. Unfortunately, I don't have any pins left for the SDRAM. So the question is, do I need the SDRAM? Can the QSPI replace it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MM..1
Chief II

If your f767 have ram for dynamic part on your screen , then you not require SDRAM.

Full dynamic in 565 = 2x800x480 bytes = 750kB plus heap and stack for your code.

Full dynamic in L8 is half of this.

And you can dont use full dynamic screen. Define window for example 640x400 for dynamic.

Background can fill full static screen from QSPI in LTDC second layer. Here you can use for example RGB888 ...

example

0693W00000AMRWmQAP.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
MM..1
Chief II

If your f767 have ram for dynamic part on your screen , then you not require SDRAM.

Full dynamic in 565 = 2x800x480 bytes = 750kB plus heap and stack for your code.

Full dynamic in L8 is half of this.

And you can dont use full dynamic screen. Define window for example 640x400 for dynamic.

Background can fill full static screen from QSPI in LTDC second layer. Here you can use for example RGB888 ...

example

0693W00000AMRWmQAP.jpg

AGeis.4
Associate III

So the 767 has a 512kb RAM which is already too small for the 800x460 display. And if I only use static applications, they can be stored on the QSPI. Does a gauge count as an animation?

LCE
Principal

Be careful, the F7 does not support QSPI RAM in memory-mapped mode.

AGeis.4
Associate III

What is the memory-mapped mode?

Try start with L8 framebuffer ARGB2222 fit your ram
too check if your LCD don’t have own memory ... partial framebuffer FMC mode ...
You write about QSPI, but don’t define is FLASH or RAM. (I mean flash)
MM mode is read only direct access into FLASH type QSPI.
AGeis.4
Associate III

I'd rather play it safe and include both an SDRAM and a QSPI by using the 208-pin option. SDRAM: AS4C4M16SB-6TIN.

AGeis.4
Associate III
AGeis.4
Associate III

So, the F767 has an internal 512kb RAM. That means it's not enough for the large display. And the external RAM has 64 Mbit. Should that be enough? Do I need to split the SDRAM or would I need a second SDRAM for the animations?