cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure firmware updates from USB Stick on STM32U5 - how to? (2)

TDJ
Senior III

@Guillaume K@Jocelyn RICARD 
Since my previous question on the same topic (see here) I have reviewed probably all the MCUboot/TF-M-based solutions available for ST MCUs. There are currently four options that I am aware of:

1. TrustedFirmware-M (TF-M) using the latest MCUboot, implements well-documented PSA-API, actively developed and maintained by community.
    Regretfully, this solution appears to be no longer actively supported by ST, STM32U5xx HAL version is 1.0, so no support for new ST MCUs.
  2. ST's TFM, described in AN5447 and UM2851, still available as a part of the STM32Cube_FW_U5_V1.4.0 package under /Projects/B-U585I-IOT02A/Applications/TFM folder, probably abandoned, removed from GitHub for this reason.
  3. Secure Boot and Secure Firmware Update (SBSFU), described in UM2262 and partially in AN5447, STM32U5G9 supported, based on relatively old TF-M 1.3 (current version is 2.0, version 2.1 to be released in 3 wks).
  4. X-Cube-Azure example aimed at B-U585I-IOT02A board, no STM32U5G9xx support yet but STM32U5A9xx seems to be handled, based on TF-M 1.3, there are many important updates since then - e.g. MCUboot upgrade to v2.0.0, see release history.

What I need to implement is a very typical real-live scenario - a device (let's imagine it is a fancy coffee machine) based on STM32U5G9 MCU which will be periodically updated by a qualified service technician from USB stick (Y-modem etc. is not considered a modern/convenient hence acceptable solution). Therefore, only the boot loader and the USB Local Loader apps require 100% secure updates (two slots) since any update failure would brick the device. As long as Local Loader is healthy, failure to update the Main App is not a problem, another attempt, e.g. using another USB stick can be easily made.

On the contrary, the Main App, which will be loaded from USB stick by Local Loader and updated the most frequently, does not require primary/secondary slot since the ability to utilize the maximize remaining flash area is way more important.

Needless to say, the Main App image has to be encrypted and signed thus Local Loader needs to be able to verify the signature of the firmware image temporarily placed in SRAM and decrypt it. I do not mind if Secure FW or Local Loader update wipes out the Main App - probably it will have to be updated anyway. Likely Main App image will have to be compressed before it is encrypted and delivered and then decrypted because otherwise it may not fit into available SRAM, unless decryption is done on-the-fly but this is less of the problem.

Conceptually, what I described above is Trusted Client scenario, defined in PSA-API, section 3.3.3.

I am afraid that only the first solution listed above (TrustedFirmware-M) guarantees that recent fixes and security updates can be quickly applied. The only downside is that probably I will have to update HAL to a recent version myself and maintain it. I already know it is not a simple task since among STM32U5xx MCUs only STM32U585 is supported and many things are hardcoded.

1. Is it possible to implement the above-described scenario with SBSFU? Although SBSFU does not incorporate the latest TF-M and MCUboot versions, it may be the quickest way forward since SBSFU receives current ST updates the most frequently.
  2. Is there any chance SBSFU will be updated to a new TF-M version soon or ST will truly support current TrustedFirmware-M (TF-M) solution? It seems that today the choice is between either new MCUs and old TF-M or new TF-M but no recent MCUs.

Please comment/advise.

TDJ_0-1709465597599.png

18 REPLIES 18
Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello @TDJ ,

great, good to see you found what you were looking for!

Regarding TFM capability to check the firmware this is something that can optionally be done using the PSA Firmware Update API. This API permits different implementations.

But TFM implementation leaves this stuff to the secure boot (bl2) only.

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hi @Jocelyn RICARD, perhaps the last update on this story.
1. I may need modified "TFM" - secure app with access to protected keys/secrets. Probably MCUboot can apply only one update strategy configured during compile time while I need two strategies - 2nd one for the main app. However, maybe MCUboot swap (with or without scratch) can be used for the first two images (each two slots) while so-called direct-xip mode could be used for the main app taking one slot only occupying the rest of the flash space. I can imagine this being possible, this would allow for the scenario I have in mind without too much extra effort and likely without using "TFM" at all or using it only to present boot status and progress - if this is some-how supported.
2. It seems that SBSFU solution has a bug immediately apparent after flashing the board which I described here.
3. The concept of SBSFU shell scripts updating other shell scripts using python scripts for that purpose perhaps could be reevaluated.

Thank you,

Tomasz

Hello @TDJ ,

1. I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

2. This is expected behaviour. By default you need to add a wire on the board between 2 GPIOs to avoid this. This is to demonstrate the feature

3. The goal is to make things easy on the first run. You don't have to care about all the option byte configuration and downloading addresses etc. If you change the mapping all the scripts are updated and scripts are still working. From this you have a working starting point from which you can build your own solution, improving things your own way.

Regarding your remark a about regression here is what is written in readme.md:

<b>2. Initialize the device</b>

Ensure the switch SW1 (BOOT0 pin) on B-U585I-IOT02A board is on position 0 to boot from Flash.

Depending on your toolchain, execute regression script (relying on STM32CubeProgrammer CLI tool) to easily perform device initialization
in one shot:
```
    EWARM:        SBSFU_Boot\EWARM\regression.bat
    MDK-ARM:      SBSFU_Boot\MDK-ARM\regression.bat
    STM32CubeIDE: SBSFU_Boot\STM32CubeIDE\regression.sh

It will work as long a you don't activate the BOOT_LOCK I think. On my side I've never had issue using it

Best regards

Jocelyn

TDJ
Senior III

@Jocelyn RICARD Thank you, apparently I have missed this README part about anti-tamper and CN3 pins 11 & 14. More descriptive message might be helpful. It seem that regression.sh script does not reset TZEN option bit. This probably is not a regression per se, but it would be nice if script could reset it - especially since this process is not straightforward. All in all this SFSFU app example quality is well above ST's average.

Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hi @TDJ ,

yes this true. You can update the script to set TZEN to 0.

Also, there are some resources available on this subject.

Main thing to know is that you need to go through RDP Level 1 with a code executing in non secure.

Also you need to make sure no OEM1Key was previously provisioned (Keys used for regression)

So, 2 ways;

1- you have a secure / non secure application running fine: switch to RDP Level 1 and then back to RDP Level 0 + TZEN=0

2- Force boot on system bootloader thanks to option bytes. Make sure you are running in bootloader after reset. Then same procedure: RDP1 / RDP 0 + TZEN=0

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hi @Jocelyn RICARD,
Back to my original question and solution I need to implement - see the revised/simplified version below.
The main difference of the solution I need compared to SBSFU is that my Secure Loader must be self-updatable, hence it needs to use two slots since any update failure will brick the device. It must also be able to update the Main App using in-place decryption, which I think can be accomplished with MCUboot using MCUBOOT_PRIMARY_ONLY/MCUBOOT_OVERWRITE_ONLY/MCUBOOT_ENC_IMAGES config.
Of course, MCUboot does not support mixed update strategies so my Secure Loader will only use MCUboot pieces to decrypt Main App image in-place.
Do you think this approach is feasible?

TDJ_1-1711234885179.png

Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello @TDJ,

Your loader will be able to download your application but it does not have access to the key to decrypt it.

So, decryption in place of the application will be done by the mcuboot after loader has reset the target.

You need to implement specific mechanism to manage your loader update from mcuboot.

I'm not sure how it can be done the way you show it using mcuboot itself as it will be setup in primary only.

I don't have simple solution in mind for that. You would need a dual slot setting for the loader and single slot setting for the application which I don't think is possible in current mcuboot implementation but I don't know all the details ...

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hi @Jocelyn RICARD,

I think my "secure loader" app should be able to access MCUBoot keys since they are placed at well know location - see the output linker script image below. Am I missing something? If I do, then another set of keys/secrets have to be embedded with my "secure loader". It would not be a perfect solution, but it would be acceptable.
When it comes to "secure loader" app, I am on my own and I need to put it together from scratch however borrowing large parts of MCUboot, using ThreadX/UsbX/FileX and all the HW acceleration/security config from SBSFU, but probably it is a manageable task.

Kind regards,

Tomasz

TDJ_0-1711701471030.png

Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hi @TDJ ,

Your loader can have access to the keys in mcuboot if you don't enable the temporal isolation.

You will need to disable TFM_HDP_PROTECT_ENABLE flag to avoid the activation for this protection.

This means your loader and application will have access to the keys. For firmware authentication public key this is not a problem as long as it cannot be changed. But for firmware encryption private key,  this is less secure.

One improvement could be to set the HDP limit to your loader. This way all mcuboot + loader are protected when application runs.

Best regards

Jocelyn