cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How code in internal flash of STM32U5 can be protected from copying, if it is stored decrypted?

VTver.1
Associate III

Flash writing procedure has just finished. The next step, anyone can assume, is verification, that code has been written correctly, which involves reading the flashed memory. At this stage, if I trace the API calls, which Cube tool does to perform flash reading. Does this mean I can copy the firmware without having vendor keys? Please point me at which step I'm wrong.

25 REPLIES 25
Aime
ST Employee

Hi @VTver.1​ ,

If you want to verify that your code has been written correctly on your MCU, I would recommend to use STM32CubeProgrammer.

In the "Memory & File editing" tab click on "+" and "Compare memory with file" , then select your .hex or .bin file to compare with the internal memory  .

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjlNyQAI.png 

Best Regards,

A.MVE

gbm
Lead III

Normally, during factory programing, the memory is written, then verified, THEN PROTECTED. After it's protected, it's no longer possible to debug or read the memory with a programmer/debug interface.

VTver.1
Associate III

Thank you @Aime​ 

My actual concern is how Cube does this compare operation. It reads internal flash (by some portions) which is decrypted, and then compared with decrypted binary? So, if I have the tool, which would record the calls/messages Cube sends to do this, I can then repeat them in my own code and obtain the firmware in internal flash? How internal flash can be protected against that?

VTver.1
Associate III

Thank you, @gbm​ 

But if I trace the calls Cube does to perform verification, I can repeat them in my own tool, and using another device I can get the firmware? Is there any protection against that?

Also please see the above picture, how memory comparison works, after memory is protected?

Hi @VTver.1​ ,

Sorry I misunderstood your concern, if you want to protect your internal code on U5 devices, you can used the key security features on U5 devices :

• Debug protection, depending on the RDP level
  • Optional password-based RDP level regressions, including for RDP level 2
  • Protected firmware distribution scheme, using TrustZone, on-the-fly decryption, and RDP level 0.5
  • Active tamper and protection against temperature, voltage and frequency attacks

Please refer to the section 3 "System security" on the attached reference manual.

A.MVE

@VTver.1​ , once protected your firmware won't be accessible even by STMCubeProgrammer. The picture above works only if the device is not protected

Hi @Aime​ 

I have read this manual with other documents. And my question exists, because the documentation (as it seems to me now) doesn't address that particular case, I have specified in the question. And the case is the protection during verification operation after flashing. (RDP hasn't been set to protection level at this moment) If I record the communication protocol between Cube tool and target, and repeat it in my own tool, does it mean I can read the flash firmware from the next device being flashed?

I would be happy, if you navigate me, where this case is addressed in the documentation.

Thank you, @Aime​, for a good point. Could you please provide a bit more details on that? If the firmware is not accessible by STMCubeProgrammer, how verification is performed? How the user gets answer that everything has been flashed correctly?

gbm
Lead III

Your question was already answered TWICE. Just read the answers.