cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader + Application Issue - Not working with Nucleo-wb55rg and STM32U585 discovery kit

rdund.11
Associate II

Hello,

I've two STM32 development kit and would like to implement and test the secure boot loader, however it's not working. There is NO serial print after programming boot loader G0_BL.bin load or Application G0_App4BL.bin. I read the location of 0x08000000 and 0x08008200, i see there exists code.

​The code i've referred is from the below video

Video reference: Security Part4 - STM32 security in practice - 10 Simple boot loader lab

The development kits i'm using are

1. ​Nucleo-wb55rg
  2. STM32U585 discovery kit 

Can you please help me here what i'm missing.

Thanks & Regards

Rajesh

11 REPLIES 11
Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello Rajesh,

This is normal it does not work as this is not the same ship.

For STM32WB55 please download X-CUBE-SBSFU here

This is the secureboot package that addresses all STM32 families except Cortex-M33 based STM32.

For STM32U5, as it is based on Cortex-M33, you will have to use the secure boot provided in the STM32Cube here

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hello Jocelyn,
Thank you for your swift and positive response. I read through readme.txt for both boards.
My understanding is that the basic bootloader(secured) is loaded through ST link and later the Application firmware upgrade is possible only through BLE? Is my understanding correct here?
There are folders with 1_Image, 2_Image and 2_Images_OSC. All talk about firmware upgrades through BLE.
Do we have any simple codes with the first secure bootloader and do secured firmware upgrade through ST-link itself?
Thanks & Regards
Rajesh

Hello Rajesh,

In order to make things secure, the SBSFU uses secure protections.

One important protection used is the RDP that makes flash access through JTAG no more possible.

So, there is no way to update through JTAG/SWD.

One way to update the firmware provided in SBSFU is through UART and Ymodem protocol. This protocol is available in teraterm for instance.

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hello Jocelyn, I took the code the below path as directed by https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubeu5.html#get-software however there is a limitation of code compilation which i could not overcome. I tried this on a couple of laptops but still could not succeed. ### Known limitations * - IAR build not working if cube package is installed on a path with a space, or a long path. - KEIL and STM32CubeIDE not supported*. I got the compiler error for the IAR. Note: I've downloaded and installed the latest IAR IDE from the IAR website. 1. is it possible to share the final all .bin files? or 2. is there any other codebase I can test secure boot+secure firmware? Thanks & Regards Raj

Hello @rdund.1​ 

Could you please be more specific about the issue you have.

What project are you trying to compile ?

What is the version of IAR you are using?

Beware that taking a very recent version of IAR may not work as code was compiled already some time ago...

Best regards

Jocelyn

SBSFU project, in this there are 3 projects Application, Boot and Loader. I would like to compile and test for the secure boot and secure firmware from this.
I'm following the procedure written in the *readme.md* file(PFA file for
the reference) in this SBSFU.
In this, first step is to build the project and get the .bin files from
this.
IAR version 9.32.1
Kindly let me know if this is not procedure? Please guide me to follow the
right procedure.

Hello @rdund.1​ ,

in release notes in

STM32Cube_FW_U5_V1.1.1\Projects\Release_Notes.html you can read:

Development Toolchains and Compilers

• IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM (EWARM) toolchain V8.50.9 + ST-LINK, patches available under:
    • Utilities\PC_Software\IDEs_Patches\EWARM\EWARMv8_STM32U57x-58x_V1.3.zip
    • This patch supports STM32U575/585 devices
    • Utilities\PC_Software\IDEs_Patches\EWARM\EWARMv8_STM32U59x-5Ax_V1.0.zip
    • This patch supports STM32U595/5A5/599/5A9 devices

On my side I can compile successfully with 9.20.1.43606

So, I would advise trying to get earlier version of IAR.

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hi Jocelyn,
Yes i had seen the other document, which talks about
Utilities\PC_Software\IDEs_Patches\EWARM
However I could not figure out where this path? We could not get any of the older versions of IAR.
First question, first why is SBSFU not supported from STM cube? SBSFU from STMicroelectronics and STM cube as well. One issue I see in the future is that we need to procure an IAR license(code size is more 32KB and free version does not support and full version support is only for 14days) just for this. Which is not a viable solution.
I'm into knowledge sharing to multiple teams and here all the team members are using this U585 board, finding difficult to do this.
How can you please ease our approach so that we can achieve this?
Thanks & Regards
Raj

Hello @rdund.1​,

Yes, you are right, the SBSFU is only supported by IAR in current STM32CubeU5.

But a new STM32CubeU5 1.2.0 release is in the pipe and will be available very soon (probably beginning of next week).

This release will provide a STM32CubeIDE project to build SBSFU.

So, it should solve your issue

Best regards

Jocelyn