Did you mean: 

WTF go back to old community

MM..1
Chief II

This new disaster put to trash, an drevert back old version

0693W00000GZtdCQAT.png

64 REPLIES 64

@Community member​ "Have you actually used it?"

Not the LVGL one, but the others I mentioned.

"it's just another javascriptoid facebook-ish disaster"

That's not what I see on the ones I've used. Maybe it's configurable?

large whitespace - OK, maybe that one.

"suggested topics" automagic - is actually quite useful: I find it quite often does turn up relevant existing threads.

But, again, the way it guides new users through how to use the forum is a key feature - as @Community member​ said, "There should be some sort of page which describes how to ask a good question that we can point these low-effort posts to"

@Community member​ - "There should be some sort of page which describes how to ask a good question that we can point these low-effort posts to"

Better yet, something that is presented to new users before they get to make their first post.

Camilo LEMOS
Senior II

Hi @Community member​ 

I hear you loud and clear about your expectations for the community, no doubt about that, and I agree that our internal systems should never get in the way of the usability of the community. We are working towards that, I guarantee, but I have to be realistic and say that you will probably not see major changes to the structure of the community and its systems in the next couple months.

To your points:

• unnecessary aesthetical changes (the clutter on top, in trendy blocks and colors) - while colors and style are a matter of opinion, I do recognize that the top banners are too big and I have already opened a ticket for it.
  • a push for some unneeded "social" functionality ("onboarding") - I disagree that the onboarding flow is social functionality. It serves to decrease navigation pains for new members, help them get acquainted with the different areas of the community, teach them how to follow their topics of interest, etc. One of the strongest points of feedback we've historically heard from our new members on this platform is that navigation is difficult - this is one of the steps towards improving that (while being aware that the navigation itself needs to be improved).
  • no (= zero) functional improvement - we did implement one functional improvement which, while it should have been there in the first place, was one of the biggest asks I've received from the community over the past two years: the profile feed is now able to show each type of activity separately and it displays in chronological order - the way it should have been in the first place. We had plans for several functional improvements which were blocked due to platform limitations, unfortunately.

Thank you!

Make the scoreboard and ranks to use and maybe show the forum differently for a newbee from veteran ?

I've noticed another functional improvement: you can now paste an image directly into a post!

😀 👍

Although it does give a rather cryptic pop-up when you do that:

0693W00000HoiHdQAJ.pngGiven the troubles some users seem to have with basic computer/web literacy, I'm not sure what they're going to make of that...

:\

> Maybe it's configurable?

It undoubtedly is.

I also tried to switch off javascript, and to my utter surprise, Discourse kept at least displaying messages in a sane - and arguably better - way.

> guides new users

Maybe. But don't hold your breath; these users behave in this way not because they did not receive some guidlines, but because it's a deeply rooted and long-lasting cultural thing.

JW

PS. I'm glad we make this mess here, highlighing both the idiocy of paging and the need for flat display of thread.

I agree that there should be register level examples for most things, certainly for timers, uart, SPI, etc. Probably not for USB. They implemented the idea zone, that idea was BY FAR the most highly rated idea, and yet it's been dismissed. Shrug.

But apart from that, I think HAL is a large improvement over SPL. Rather unfortunately, LL is a giant leap backwards but it's easy to ignore it.

If we take STM32CubeIDE separate from the code generation in STM32CubeMX, I think most of the debugging features, fault analyzer, memory usage tools, peripheral register viewing, have been improvements. I like CubeMX for the pin layout and clock visualization, but not as much for the code generation.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

This rare fix predates this update, I've even praised it somewhere, can't find now that post.

[EDIT] found it [/EDIT]

JW

> limit of 8 topics per page

I mean that, without scrolling, you can only see 8 topics per page. I think it should be more like 20, which would allow you to scan topics easier. Info could be compressed here to make better use of the vertical space. Although I did look at other forums and was surprised that the average posts per vertical page is about 12-15. ST was still the worst, but not a huge outlier.

0693W00000Hoj7KQAR.png 

> Knowledgebase

Hmm, did this change in the past 2 weeks? The current layout looks good. I retract my comment about that. I remember it showing only 6 posts per topic and needing to click on "show all" or something.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".