cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the future of mcu ? hardware and software .who is becoming more and more important ?

Pbing.1
Associate

3 REPLIES 3
Pbing.1
Associate

Hardware is becoming more and more stronger .

Jack Peacock_2
Senior III

This sounds like a homework question but I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

In production terms software is essentially a fixed cost as part of the engineering design costs. AS such it is relatively independent of units sold since the incremental cost on the BOM (Bill of Materials) for software decreases as production ramps up. In many countries the software costs can amortized as an expense, so software in general has relatively low impact on the cost of a product (assuming the software works and doesn't incur high support costs).

Hardware directly affects the cost of the product's BOM and the profit margin. Reducing die costs by shrinking geometries as older foundry equipment is recycled to produce MCUs directly affects the total BOM cost and the gross profit margins. Any improvements such as adding more internal memory (replacing external parts) add to cost reductions.

In sort, if you look at the economics then focusing on better hardware has a far higher impact on pricing and profit compared to software. I suppose that makes it "stronger".

Jack Peacock

It also allows the IC to get smaller and cheaper as more working parts will fit on a wafer.​

A lot of applications dont need fast or complicated parts.

As the parts get faster it allows for less compentent developers to create bloated code that still seems to meet objectives but tends to be more inefficient and have more untested code paths.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..