cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cause of STM32 shortage? When will STM32 processors be available as normal? The pricing and delivery times are ridiclous now.

rickard2
Associate III

31 REPLIES 31
Jack3
Senior II

It's very sad, currently we are redesigning to replace the STM32 parts in our new (and some current) designs for the (horrible) microchip parts, hoping we can deliver sooner.

Someone threw an 80-week number at me this week.

I've not seen a good break-down where all the ICs out of the fabs are going.

People getting parts look to be those with solid multi-year contracts, who will pre-pay.

Figure there's got to be some hedge-fund or chip futures action here, I'm not sure most businesses are going to stay solvent, but deep into bubble territory.

When China goes into Taiwan it's going to be disastrous.

Lots of large 4K TVs at Walmart, March Madness I'd assume..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Ebbe
Associate II

Ist there any information when the lead times will decrease? We are using the STM32F439BIT6 and ST is unable to give us a delivery date in 2022 or early 2023.:fearful_face:

>>Is there any information when the lead times will decrease?

When they've built the 54+ weeks of existing orders they've committed to sell/deliver already? But expect the line to keep getting longer.

The only way the delivery dates will shrink dramatically is if orders get cancelled, but given the strong secondary market for parts, most would likely still take delivery and sell through brokers.

>>ST is unable to give as a delivery date in 2022 or early 2023

Ok, and that's because others who already ordered against 52 week delivery lead times will be getting those.

This isn't one of these situations where you can wait a couple of months for things to improve/change, at this point things look like they will continue to push out. You can look at changing the things within your direct control..

> Is there any information when the lead times will decrease?

If nothing unforeseen happens, the shortage has ended 6 months ago.

JW

Ebbe
Associate II

Our oldest order is 1 Jear old.

Distributor says we will not get Parts within Q3/2022. Maybe in Q4/2022.

Things will get better in mid 2023 when the new Fab in France is working.

Ebbe
Associate II

It seems like the latest 4 posts here have been deleted. Why?

I asked another question:

Is there any information of this shortage from ST? I can't find anything on STs Webseite oder Blogs...

Lead times are going crazy and no comment from ST? :\

SChit
Associate

more and more engineers are redesigning pcb with nuvoton microcontrollers now..

due very high price and delays of stm32 components.

Mecanix
Senior

https://www.gigadevice.com/products/microcontrollers/gd32/

https://www.gd32mcu.com/en/download/7

Dunno about RU specifically but that's already done. All parts "available", 1/10 of the price, and performs identically to those of ST's. Some of which I personally use in a product line...

And so. So be it.

https://shop131282813.taobao.com/search.htm?userId=&shopId=131282813&view_type=&order_type=&spm=0&search=y&keyword=GD32

The Crolles' expansion? Do you know what geometry that will be?

Wondering if that will help with the older product with the heaviest demand against them. I don't expect the F1 to be moved or refreshed. Competitors with pin/function compatible parts with smaller die, with higher yield per wafer, certainly been handed a lot of opportunity.