cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wake up vs Alert in RTC

Nikosant03
Associate II

Hi, could someone explain me what is the difference between wake up and alert in RTC?

For example the UM1749 provides information about RTC Alarm functions (section 39.2.8) and wake-up functions (section 40.2.2)

When should I use the wake-up and when the alert?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee
Well, you could use either wakeup or alarm. But an alarm has to be set again after expiring.
Good luck!
/Peter
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Wakeup is intended for uniformly repeating events (e.g. wakeup every 10 seconds), while the alarm can be compared to the wake-up function of an alarm clock and is usually only triggered once.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Piranha
Chief II

The reference manual for your MCU explains it clearly.

Thank you a lot @Peter BENSCH​ for your response. In my application, I want the MCU to wake-up once per day at 12:00PM. So, should I use the wakeup instead of the alarm?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee
Well, you could use either wakeup or alarm. But an alarm has to be set again after expiring.
Good luck!
/Peter
Nikosant03
Associate II

Thank you very much @Peter BENSCH​ 

You're welcome.

If the problem is resolved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best under your preferred answer. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter

If you use mask, no need to set again your alarm, or I maybe miss something ?

As I am wondering same question, I'll add some informations about this subject (feel free to correct me as I am new to these subjects) :

- I think that if you use mask, you dont have to reconfigure your alarm. The callback function of your alarm can be called forever, with a few settings

- Alarm seems a bit easier to use (as you only have to provide a date/time alarm, and provide a mask if you need it). For WakeUp Timer, you should chose the clock you want to use, and do simple math with frequency/prescaler of your clock. Otherwise, if you change clock frequency, this will probably change your loop.

For my case, I only need to go in sleep mode, and exit that sleep mode to measure data only once per minute. I already did the loop with alarm, work well, but I discovered WakeUp Timer. 

Do you have any advice on what to use ? Do you know others differences that we listed here ?

Maybe someone have more informations to share ?