cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBCPD CubeIDE code results in HardFault when GUI_INTERFACE is enabled

Franz.1
Associate III

So, I followed the following video step by step for a "project with a custom board" (video minute 13:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbdFHmMOMwk

I am working on an STM32G0B1CBT6

The code is generated and can be built, but as soon as I enable the Utilities->GUI_INTERFACE in CubeMX, the generated code results in a Hardfault during initialisation ( to be specific in the in the file Utilities-> GUI_INTERFACE->bsp_gui.c) during execution of the line number 80, that is

if ((0xFFFFFFFFu != *((uint32_t *)_addr)) && (MagicNumber != *((uint64_t *)_addr)))

Any hints on how to proceed debugging?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The STM32G0B1CBT6 chip has 128 kB of flash. Address 0x803F800 is past the end of the flash which is at 0x08020000.

TDK_0-1722869055634.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Ensure that the address at _addr is valid and lies within a readable memory somewhere.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Franz.1
Associate III

Well, _addr is defined as

uint32_t _addr = GUI_FLASH_MAGIC_NUMBER;

The GUI_FLASH_MAGIC_NUMBER itself comes from 

#define GUI_FLASH_MAGIC_NUMBER         ADDR_FLASH_LAST_PAGE

ADDR_FLASH_LAST_PAGE comes from

#if defined (FLASH_OPTR_DBANK) || defined(FLASH_DBANK_SUPPORT)
#define INDEX_PAGE              ((FLASH_PAGE_NB * 2u) - 1u)                    /* Index of latest page */
#else
#define INDEX_PAGE              (FLASH_PAGE_NB - 1u)                           /* Index of latest page */
#endif /* FLASH_OPTR_DBANK || FLASH_DBANK_SUPPORT */
#define ADDR_FLASH_LAST_PAGE    (FLASH_BASE + (INDEX_PAGE * FLASH_PAGE_SIZE))  /* Base @ of latest page */
#define ADDR_FLASH_PAGE_END     (ADDR_FLASH_LAST_PAGE + FLASH_PAGE_SIZE - 1u)

This comes all from the pregenerated code. The defines in the section above all refer to the respective stm32g0xx_hal_flash.h.  I did not change any of that and it seems correct.

I agree with your assessment.

When you debug the code, use the fault analyzer to see what it says is wrong.

Look at "_addr" in the expressions or variables window to find out where it points and ensure it's valid.

Franz.1
Associate III

Well, _addr reports to 0x803F800 which is is the same value as the GUI_FLASH_MAGIC_NUMBER define.

HOWEVER, the line operates on MagicNumber (note case sensitivity) which is defined in the code as

static const uint64_t MagicNumber = 0xDEADBABEDEADF00DU;

Funny is, that I cannot view the MagicNumber variable in the variable watch which gives me 

Multiple errors reported.

1) Failed to execute MI command:
-var-create - * MagicNumber
Error message from debugger back end:
-var-create: unable to create variable object

2) Unable to create variable object

3) Failed to execute MI command:
-data-evaluate-expression MagicNumber
No symbol "MagicNumber" in current context.

4) Failed to execute MI command:
-var-create - * MagicNumber
-var-create: unable to create variable object

//EDIT: Is seems indeed that i cannot read from the _addr since the expression watch does not show a number when the value is defererenced (see screenshot)

Franz1_0-1722865736843.png

Per reference manual, the upper boundary of main flash (STM32G0B1xx) is 0x0807 FFFF, so the region 0x803F800 should be readable?

The STM32G0B1CBT6 chip has 128 kB of flash. Address 0x803F800 is past the end of the flash which is at 0x08020000.

TDK_0-1722869055634.png

Franz.1
Associate III

Ooooh, I had a look in the dataheet, but I had interchanged the Letters in CBT6, it is the 'B" in CBT6 that tells the 128kByte. not the 'C' which is the pincount here. Wrong order 🙄

I changed the following define to the start of the last page (i.e. the last 2k of Flash)

#define ADDR_FLASH_LAST_PAGE	0x1F800

At least the hardfault is gone. I would say this is a bug of the code generator. Anyway: Thanks a lot @TDK !