cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update tool ST-LINK gives old firmware?

Willunen
Associate III
Posted on January 11, 2017 at 09:44

Hi, newby here. I recently bought two discovery boards from Conrad.nl.

One with a STM32F100RTB and the other with a STM8S003K3T.

Now I wanted to upgrade the firmware of the integrated ST-LINK modules on the Discovery boards. According to the documentation :

On ST-LINK/V2-1 boards, upgrade firmware to the version V2J28M

On ST-LINK/V2 boards, upgrade firmware to the version V2J28S7.

On ST-LINK boards, upgrade firmware to the version V1J13S4.

But in my case the STM32 board is updated to firmware V1.JS0

And worse, the STM8 board to firmware V1.J0.S4

This version seems to be too old for the ST-LINK Utility.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Wilko Lunenburg

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
22 REPLIES 22
Posted on January 13, 2017 at 14:15

Hi Khouloud,

This is what ST claims on her website:

The ST-LINK is an in-circuit debugger and programmer for the STM8 and STM32 microcontroller families. The SWIM and JTAG/SWD interface is used to communicate with the STM8 or STM32 microcontroller located on your own application board.

And something similar is said about V2. But that is (probably?) only valid for the stand alone versions of the ST-LINK.

For the moment I'll concentrate on the STM32-Discovery board. (And I'll buy a stand alone programmer/debugger.)

Wilko

Lula Nord
Associate
Posted on May 02, 2017 at 17:46

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge ST offers/offered a stand-alone version of the ST-Link for a very affordable price. I got one some years ago for the price of about 3 Discovery boards. Not sure if it's still available and in that price region. And, it's only worthwhile if you want to dig deeper into the STM8 world.

http://www.7pcb.com

Posted on May 02, 2017 at 18:30

Certainly a lot of boot-leg ones available readily in the $4-8 range these days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-LINK-V2-ST-LINK-Debugging-Programmer-Emulator-Download-Manager-STM8-STM32-/272451660414?hash=item3f6f626a7e:g:zocAAOSwHMJYLEGe

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..