cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART works on terminal but not getting output on pins of Nucleo board

PCama.1
Associate III

I followed the UART example (https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/STM32StepByStep:Step3_Introduction_to_the_UART) and implemented it on a STM32F051 Discovery kit and on a STM32F446 Nucleo board with pretty much identical settings from CubeMX.

If I scope the STM32F051 I get a TX2 signal out of pin PA2 as expected. If I do the same on the STM32F446 I get nothing. Interestingly I get normal output out of the STM32F446 using Tera Term over USB but if I do the same with STM32F051 I get nothing on terminal.

Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Check the schematic for solder-bridge options to route to VCP vs Arduino header vs pin headers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

If the signal makes it to the PC, it has to exist on the pins, otherwise how is it getting there? Make sure you're scoping the right pins.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Check the schematic for solder-bridge options to route to VCP vs Arduino header vs pin headers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

That did it. Thank you clive!

PCama.1
Associate III

Hopefully this will help someone else. After following clive1's suggestion, I found this in the documentation regarding USART and solder bridges. That's what I did in the picture at bottom and everything works as I wished before. This was not in my radar, so better double check documentation next time. Thank you!

0693W000005AzsTQAS.jpg 

De-soldered 0 ohm resistor between SB13 and SB14 (red circle). Soldered bridges SB62 and SB63 (green).0693W000005AzvDQAS.jpg