cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L431 I2C master throws ARLO if SDA is pulled down externally before PE is set

OK so here is the finale of the trilogy (first two installments here and here).

If SDA is pulled low externally *after* I2C is enabled by setting I2C_CR1.PE, I2C_SR.BSY goes high; and if under that condition master communication is started, there's no notification/interrupt, but after SDA is released, communication commences as normally. This is the documented behaviour.

However, if SDA is pulled low externally *before* I2C is enabled by setting I2C_CR1.PE, it behaves differently. After starting communication by writing to I2C_CR2 (with START set), one pulse gets generated on SCL, and the communication ends with I2C_SR=0x201, i.e. ARLO (Arbitration Lost) set.

This is not documented.

Now this in practice probably causes less problems than the two previously mentioned issues. First, this genuinely can be detected by reading in state of the SDA pin in GPIO_IDR before communication; second, this does not result in the internal machine freezing in BUSY with no interrupt, or in errorneous TXIS interrupt; but in an interrupt indicating error so requiring some sort of intervention.

However, ARLO is a surprising interrupt to have in a single-master environment, and if from such consideration there's no handler in place, this may result in unexpected failures.

Also, in multi-master environment, the unexpected SCL pulse may cause the other master and/or slaves to be thrown out of sync.

There's also a surprising positive effect: the most common reason for SDA being stuck low is slave being out of sync (as described in the 9-pulse recovery in the I2C spec). In such case, if the unexpected ARLO interrupt is handled by  I2C reset through PE pulsing, then the unexpected SCL pulse acts as that 9-pulse recovery, without need for explicitly writing one. Unfortunately, as this is not documented, it also should not be exploited as a feature.

JW

@FBL 

3 REPLIES 3
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @waclawek.jan,

The principle of arbitration is that some other device pulls SDA low when master is transmitting. Master monitors the SDA line and detects lost arbitration.

The SCL pulse is generated before the arbitration detection is engaged. The master gives up on the bus once the arbitration is lost.

One more thing, toggling the PE resets the peripheral HW state machine but does not change the configuration. After that the master can start another transmission or reception directly. Well, at least if the bus is really free this time.

An internal is submitted for updating the reference manual. Internal ticket number: 169301 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers)", 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@FBL 

> After [toggling the PE] the master can start another transmission or reception directly.

Yes, I do. 🙂

The surprising thing here is the dual behaviour (i.e. that there's no arbitration loss if SDA was pulled down externally after PE=1); and the ARLO being thrown in a single-master environment.

> ... [ticket for] updating the reference manual...

Thanks again for the support.

JW

PS. I edited the title, I copypasted it from the other thread and did not remove "freezes", which does not reflect the issue's nature here. Sorry for the confusion I caused by this.

FBL
ST Employee

Indeed, ARLO may be surprising from application perspective.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.