cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L431: Does fast flash programming only work for bank erase?

DHase.1
Associate III

The STM32L431 RM is ambiguous about being able to use fast flash programming with page erase.

In the paragraph on Fast Programming the RM first refers to pages--

"This mode allows to program a row (32 double word) and to reduce the page programming ..."

But for the program steps it refers to banks--

"1. Perform a mass erase of the bank to program."

Can the fast programming be used when erasing and writing page-by-page, or can it only be used when a mass erase is used?

The "note" also indicates that the code to run the fast programming cannot be in the same bank being flashed, so I presume that for the L431 some code in sram would be required to load a row and test the busy.

4 REPLIES 4
Piranha
Chief II

Indeed ST should clarify that point about the necessity of mass erase.

Also noticed a copy-paste error.

RM0394 Rev 4, section "3.3.7 Flash main memory programming sequences", page 85:

Fast programming

The Flash main memory programming sequence in standard mode is as follows:

DHase.1
Associate III

Here is another statement where I think "full zero" is intended to mean 0xffffffff rather than 0x00000000--

"3.3.7

Flash main memory programming sequences

Programming in a previously programmed address is not allowed except if the data to write

is full zero, and any attempt will set PROGERR flag..."

No, it actually means 0x0000000000000000. That is an additional feature, which allows invalidating of the previously programmed memory. Therefore the FLASH on those devices has kind of a 3 functional states:

1. Erased, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  2. Programmed, any value.
  3. Invalidated, 0x0000000000000000.
DHase.1
Associate III

Piranha,

Thanks for the clarification. The notion of three states really helps with the understanding. Rereading the RM (for the nth time) I see how that way of viewing it is embedding in the RM description.

Interesting to ponder various situations, especially with regard to a set of calibrations that one might want to update. How might a program determine which double words have not been programmed. I suppose if double read from flash was all F's and that was a value never permitted one could tag it as a writable double. Or, if zero was not permitted, the program could search down to the first non-zero, and instead some page erase/write, one sets old values to zero.

Another puzzling result I ran into is that load double/store double (standard mode) was producing a single double word error (the double word appeared not be flashed) about 1 out 10 pages. No noticeable pattern. By changing to two load word/store word I have not seen an error. One guess is that due to some race-time the hardware tries to store high word before the low word. For the two load & stores, the HAL routine places an ISB instruction between the first and second word load & stores, so I presume "they" had some insight into what was going on with the hardware.