Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L162

David Guzuman
Associate II
Posted on January 24, 2018 at 20:29

Hi,

What is a start point for using STM32L162?

17 REPLIES 17
Posted on January 25, 2018 at 16:46

Clive One wrote:

Evidence suggests a lot of users here have minimal knowledge about how micro-controllers work, or how data is represented in memory

Sadly, that is true; and not just here - it is seen pretty much across all internet forums, AFAIKS.

Even people who say, 'I am familiar with Brand-X microcontroller, but not STM32...' - the question usually betrays a lack of understanding of the underlying fundamentals. Seems that 'familiar' just means 'have followed some cookbook recipes'.

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 16:50

Bogdan Golab wrote:

And critical thinking / troubleshooting skills are important. + Patience.

Indeed - 3rd bullet point in my initial reply.

This is particularly sad as, at at its heart, all engineering - including programming - is fundamentally a problem-solving exercise.

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 16:57

In my field (computer networking) there is a lot of people who pass many exams at the expert level (the question is what the 'expert' means here) who cannot troubleshoot anything. They enjoy themselves when  something works from the first time - the real enjoyment comes from solving problems. And understanding comes also comes from 'learning by doing'. STM32 is a hobby for me but I spend many days on troubleshooting just because I like it. Again I think the motivation crucial - why does someone want to spend his/her time on this kind of stuff..

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 17:29

I have two issues with the book mentioned above.  One:  It is too expensive, and you also need to purchase a second volume if you are working on Cortex-M0 architecture.  Two:  The book has a print date of 2015 meaning it was written in 2014 which means that the material is 4 years old now.  That is a life time in microprocessor architecture.  This material is better suited for a Wikipedia (or similar) site that can be updated on at least a quarterly basis.

-Ken

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 18:09

The fundamentals are still the same. The details are in the ST datasheets / references.

Have both volumes. Worth the price.

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 18:10

Prices for books in the US is often stupidly high, especially college texts. Hohl's book is ridiculous and the first edition was years late.

Get the International version

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Joseph+Yiu&cm_sp=SearchF-_-NullResults-_-Results

To be honest the series covers a lot of the same material, expanding in each edition and for each new part. The CM3/4 one would cover most of the bases.

The CM3 hasn't changed in a decade, and manual describing the core is solid. Tool chains change and evolve.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 25, 2018 at 20:35

Hi,

What evaluation kit is useful for STM32L162RCT?

I can't find out on the web about STM32L162RCT, although ok about STM32L152 series.

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 20:43

The one with STM32L152 below is similar if the AES is not important:

http://pl.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/stm32l152c-disco/stm32l-discovery-eval-board/dp/2317987