cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32HT43 Nucleo 144

IAgui
Associate II

Hello All,

I have an intresting issue that came up. But I am not sure if I understand it. In the clock configurator, I gave the usart mux a 100Mhz clock for the uarts and set up the baud rate for 115200K. Once I started sending data, I noticed that the baud rate was off. I went back and gave the clocking mux 64mhz, and that seemed to fix that issue. I want to make sure I understand why this before I move forward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Check the clock signal on the board as built, pretty sure it clocks at 8 MHz from the ST-LINK/V2-1

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

>>STM32HT43 Nucleo 144

?? WHAT?

You mean an STM32H743ZI2 board ? The ZI2 board has a slightly off-frequency HSE clock, the ST-LINK/V3 is 8.33 MHz, not 8 MHz of the older ZI board

Check that HSE_VALUE is consistent with the source clock.

The 64 MHz HSI clock is likely closer to nominal.

IAgui
Associate II

oops STM32H743ZI Nucleo 144 typo, sorry. The schematic is saying the HSE input clock is 25 MHz for that board. Should I measure the 25 MHz clock? Getting a bit concerned as I am getting ready to work with CAN FD. I am using PLL1Q for that which is derived from the HSE clock.

Check the clock signal on the board as built, pretty sure it clocks at 8 MHz from the ST-LINK/V2-1

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

When you update the ST-LINK firmware with a recent version, there will be two options for the clock to the MCU: 8.33... (HSE/3) and 8.0 (HSI/2 of 'F7)

IAgui
Associate II

Please forgive me as I am confused about the stlink clock and the HSE clock on the MCU. They are two different devices. How would this affect the baud rate on the MCU?

To save parts the on-board ST-LINK can provide a crystal based clock source to the target MCU

Review schematic

The ST-LINK MCU on the Nucleo board (STM32F7) has a 25 MHz crystal connected to its HSE. It's MCO goes to the target MCU's HSE in "bypass" (single-ended) mode. Several clocks can be muxed to the MCO, with programable divisor.