cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 SWO printf not working

Posted on June 06, 2018 at 08:02

I try also to use SWO printf (SWV, SWO viewer in ST-Link-Utility). It is not working.

I am aware of this thread:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkWZQSA3/no-traceswo-output-on-stm32h7xx

But I tried step-by-step to use (configure, enable) the Debug infrastructure in the STM32H7 chip (e.g. configure Debug, ITM, force SWO signal to work ...). Nothing works.

(it looks to me based on datasheet - you had to get familiar with something else, e.g. DBGMCU (which is not an ARM IP block, ARM TRM)

I see in debugger, that the

ITM_SendChar puts my characters into ITM FIFO (it looks as ITM enabled, FIFO is free).

But nothing comes out (PB3 is floating).

What I have realized:

a) the

PB3 (SWO) signal is floating, not driven (it works as GPIO, but not as Debug SWO signal, also pull-up is OK, BTW: there is a lot of noise on this signal!)

b) the datasheet, manual

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

has a lot of of

discrepancies (and incorrect information, e.g. register offsets in detailed descriptions are not matching with the overview table, reset defaults are different, some reserved bits are set when registers are read in debugger ..., e.g. DBGMCU_IDC).

How to use ITM (SWO, SWV)?

Why this SWO signal is not driven (it is floating)?

(this MCU is so 'strange', I am quite frustrated to bring up a project ... is this MCU not so mature or not well tested (the DV did not cover all features ...? Do we have to wait for a next spin and tape out ...?).

Please, if you have any idea ... I appreciate.

What is your experience with this MCU? (and correctness of datasheet? Reasonable to use this revision of MCU already?)

My issues so far:

0. Datasheet and HAL (H-Files) use different names, or HAL misses still something (e.g. where is SWO, SWTF).

I guess, I had to configure something on SWTF - but what, how to find in HAL and are all the blocks, register offset,

base addresses defined in HAL defined or given in datasheet correct?

1. SDMMC1 PCLK cannot be taken from PLL2

2. D2 SRAMs are powered off - not usable as 'regular' memory (if loaded by debugger during reset or accessed w/o to

enable SRAM clock before)

BTW: if you access such not enabled or existing memories - the bus fabric does not generate a Bus Fault,

instead the entire system will hang, potentially the bus fabric will hang forever - do not access 'memory holes'.

3. Using DMA and caches enabled - it seems to be mandatory to initialize also MPU

(cache maintenance could fail, otherwise).

4. SWO (SWV, printf via ITM) is completely broken (or ST-Link-Utility does not configure this CM7 properly)

5. Datasheet has a lot of wrong information (e.g. wrong debug block/ROM table register based addresses,

register offsets, but HAL H-files seem to be a bit more correct - hard to trust).

6. (not a bug, but a tough way to figure out:( SDMMC1 can only access AXI SRAM (D1 SRAM, no other SRAMs).

(if you let try to use other memories by SDMMC1 - the same as 2.: the system hangs,

the SDMMC1 (DMA) hangs forever - no bus fault exception ...!

If have realized: if you let DMAs access not available memories - no errors/exceptions, just the DMA

engine/peripheral is dead forever - be careful, also when caches are enabled and DMA descriptors are not

'coherent')

This is a nice MCU (keen on the performance promises and some nice HW features, e.g. the fractional PLLs!, the delay buffers - it would be nice to have it available also on the SPI MISO signals ...) but it is so hard to bring up a similar (existing) project on this MCU.

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.

34 REPLIES 34
SofLit
ST Employee
Posted on June 21, 2018 at 12:30

Dear all,

For SWO printf (SWO viewer in ST-Link-Utility) could you please use the following intialization:

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C001004) = 0x00700000;

//UNLOCK FUNNEL

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C004FB0) = 0xC5ACCE55; 

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C003FB0) = 0xC5ACCE55;  

//SWO current output divisor register

//This divisor value (0x000000C7) corresponds to 400Mhz

//To change it, you can use the following rule

// value = (CPU Freq/sw speed )-1

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C003010) = (*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C003010) & 0xfffff000) | 0x000000C7; 

//SWO selected pin protocol register

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C0030F0) = 0x00000002;  

//Enable ITM input of SWO trace funnel

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C004000) = *(__IO uint32_t*)(0x5C004000) | 0x00000001; 

//RCC_AHB4ENR enable GPIOB clock

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x580244E0) = *(__IO uint32_t*)(0x580244E0) | 0x00000002;  

// Configure GPIOB pin 3 as AF

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020400) = (*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020400) & 0xffffff3f) | 0x00000080;  

// Configure GPIOB pin 3 Speed

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020408) = *(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020408) | 0x00000080; 

// Force AF0 for GPIOB pin 3

*(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020420) = *(__IO uint32_t*)(0x58020420) & 0xFFFF0FFF; 

Don't forget to set the right system clock frequency in ST-Link Utility/SW Viewer.

Best Regards,

STM32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Posted on June 21, 2018 at 17:42

Hi All,

I try to summarize almost all discussed topics & issues in this post, with an answerfor each item:

•  
  •  
  •  
  • SWO related issue
  • ==> Please refer to the document “
  • https://community.st.com/0D50X00009nNBBHSA4
  • �?. It is a step by step guideline on how to configure your project options with Keil µVision to be able to use ITM output with STLink.
  • RM0433 errors and impacts
  •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • Wrong registers base addresses
    • Discrepancies between registers offsets in detailed description and overview tables

==> Almost all errors and discrepancies are addressed in

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

that is already on the web. If you still note other errors, you may highlight them for us.

•  
  •  
  • Discrepancies between Registers HAL names and RM ones

==> Some discrepancies are already addressed in previous Cube package version, others will come in the next version.

•  
  •  
  • Other topics:
  •  
    •  
    •  
    • D2 SRAMs usage

==> It is recommended to enable the clock or the D2 SRAM before calling the main

•  
  •  
  • Bugs in RCC HAL driver impacting the usage of PLL2 as clock source for SDMMC

==> This is a known limitation in RCC driver that was confirmed in the thread “

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

�?, where a patch is already provided. The official fix will be available in the next version of STM32CubeH7 package.

•  
  •  
  • What is the best way to use DMA and cache enabled?

==> Please refer to the application note

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

(Level 1 cache on STM32F7 Series and STM32H7 Series) which provides examples of cache configuration on M7 based devices.

•  
  •  
  • Check debug config with CubeMX

==> Is it possible to describe the problems you are facing with CubeMX in a separate discussion? This will be easier to handle by our STM32CubeMX experts?

If you consider that there are other open points not mentioned here, please highlight them in new posts. Ideally, you can detail them in separate threads so that they don’t get lost in long discussions.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on June 21, 2018 at 18:35

Confirming here that SWV output working with NUCLEO-H743ZI

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009nNBBHSA4

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 21, 2018 at 22:37

For all others convenience - the code 'translated' to understand what is done.

It works nos - thank you again.

void ITM_enable(void)
{
#define SWO_BASE (0x5C003000UL)
#define SWTF_BASE (0x5C004000UL)
 __IO GPIO_TypeDef *GPIOBRegs = (GPIO_TypeDef *)GPIOB;

uint32_t SWOSpeed = 2000000; /* [Hz] we have 2 Mbps SWO speed in ST-Link SWV viewer
 if we select 400000000 Hz core clock */
 uint32_t SWOPrescaler = (SystemCoreClock / SWOSpeed) - 1; /* divider value */

//enable debug clocks
 DBGMCU->CR = 0x00700000; //enable debug clocks

//UNLOCK FUNNEL
 //SWTF->LAR unlock
 *((__IO uint32_t *)(SWTF_BASE + 0xFB0)) = 0xC5ACCE55; //unlock SWTF

//SWO->LAR unlock
 *((uint32_t *)(SWO_BASE + 0xFB0)) = 0xC5ACCE55; //unlock SWO

//SWO divider setting
 //This divider value (0x000000C7) corresponds to 400Mhz core clock
 //SWO->CODR = PRESCALER[12:0]
 *((__IO uint32_t *)(SWO_BASE + 0x010)) = SWOPrescaler; //clock divider

//SWO set the protocol
 //SWO->SPPR = PPROT[1:0] = NRZ
 *((__IO uint32_t *)(SWO_BASE + 0x0F0)) = 0x00000002; //set to NRZ

//Enable ITM input of SWO trace funnel, slave 0
 //SWTF->CTRL bit 0 ENSO = Enable
 *((__IO uint32_t *)(SWTF_BASE + 0x000)) |= 0x00000001; //enable

//RCC_AHB4ENR enable GPIOB clock - maybe done already
 RCC->AHB4ENR |= RCC_AHB4ENR_GPIOBEN;

//Configure GPIOB_MODER pin 3 as AF
 GPIOBRegs->MODER &= ~GPIO_MODER_MODER3; //clear MODER3 bits
 GPIOBRegs->MODER |=
 GPIO_MODE_AF_PP << GPIO_OSPEEDER_OSPEEDR3_Pos; //set MODER3 PIN3 bits as AF

//Configure GPIOB_OSPEEDR pin 3 Speed
 GPIOBRegs->OSPEEDR &=
 ~GPIO_OSPEEDER_OSPEEDR3; //clear OSPEEDR3 bits
 GPIOBRegs->OSPEEDR |=
 GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_HIGH << GPIO_OSPEEDER_OSPEEDR3_Pos; //set OSPEEDR3 PIN3 bits as High Speed

//Force AF0 for GPIOB_AFRL, AFR[0] for pin 3
 GPIOBRegs->AFR[0] &= ~GPIO_AFRL_AFRL3; //clear AFR2 PIN3 = 0 for AF0
}�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

Posted on June 21, 2018 at 20:46

WHAUUA - GREAT - It works with this config!

Thank you.

Posted on June 23, 2018 at 22:44

That worked perfectly! Thanks. I guess the next HAL update will have this in the library?

Cheers

Posted on July 07, 2018 at 12:41

Nice!!

Konmax
Associate II

Links do not work:

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

DOC-2098-how-to-use-the-swo-on-stm32h7-devices