cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7: FDCAN has lost the automatic Bus-off Recovery mechanism ?

lshan.1
Associate II

Hi,everyone!

I want to know if FDCAN ( I'm using STM32H7) has lost the automatic Bus-off Recovery mechanism. Looking Forward to get your reply.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
void CAN_bus_off_check_reset(FDCAN_HandleTypeDef *hfdcan) {
    FDCAN_ProtocolStatusTypeDef protocolStatus = {};
    HAL_FDCAN_GetProtocolStatus(hfdcan, &protocolStatus);
    if (protocolStatus.BusOff) {
        CLEAR_BIT(hfdcan->Instance->CCCR, FDCAN_CCCR_INIT);
    }
}

You can check when you send message to fifo or check it on bus-off call back:

when CAN init

HAL_FDCAN_ActivateNotification(&hfdcan2, FDCAN_IT_BUS_OFF, 0);

add call back func

void HAL_FDCAN_ErrorStatusCallback(FDCAN_HandleTypeDef *hfdcan, uint32_t ErrorStatusITs) {
    if (hfdcan == &hfdcan2) {
        if ((ErrorStatusITs & FDCAN_IT_BUS_OFF) != RESET) {
            CAN_bus_off_check_reset(hfdcan);
        }
    }
}

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @lshan.1​ ,

Indeed, the FDCAN Peripheral is compliant with ISO 11898-1: 2015, regarding bus off recovery,

This note highlighted in the RM0433 -Rev7 (page 2557/3319):

The Bus_Off recovery sequence (see CAN Specification Rev. 2.0 or ISO11898-1) cannot be shortened by setting or resetting FDCAN_CCCR.INIT. If the device goes Bus_Off, it will set FDCAN_CCCR.INIT of its own, stopping all bus activities. Once FDCAN_CCCR.INIT has been cleared by the CPU, the device will then wait for 129 occurrences of bus Idle (129 × 11 consecutive recessive bits) before resuming normal operation. At the end of the Bus_Off recovery sequence, the error management counters will be reset. During the waiting time after the reset of FDCAN_CCCR.INIT, each time a sequence of 11 recessive bits has been monitored, a Bit0 error code is written to FDCAN_PSR.LEC, enabling the CPU to readily check up whether the CAN bus is stuck at dominant or continuously disturbed and to monitor the Bus_Off recovery sequence. FDCAN_ECR.REC is used to count these sequences.�?

Please select my response as Best if it fully answered your question, that this thread will marked as answered.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Hi @Imen DAHMEN​  Thanks for your reply.

Is there any example on CubeMX software fro the STM32G4 series that describes this handling mechanism of BUS_OFF management?

void CAN_bus_off_check_reset(FDCAN_HandleTypeDef *hfdcan) {
    FDCAN_ProtocolStatusTypeDef protocolStatus = {};
    HAL_FDCAN_GetProtocolStatus(hfdcan, &protocolStatus);
    if (protocolStatus.BusOff) {
        CLEAR_BIT(hfdcan->Instance->CCCR, FDCAN_CCCR_INIT);
    }
}

You can check when you send message to fifo or check it on bus-off call back:

when CAN init

HAL_FDCAN_ActivateNotification(&hfdcan2, FDCAN_IT_BUS_OFF, 0);

add call back func

void HAL_FDCAN_ErrorStatusCallback(FDCAN_HandleTypeDef *hfdcan, uint32_t ErrorStatusITs) {
    if (hfdcan == &hfdcan2) {
        if ((ErrorStatusITs & FDCAN_IT_BUS_OFF) != RESET) {
            CAN_bus_off_check_reset(hfdcan);
        }
    }
}

Thank you very much for your reply. This solved my long-standing doubt. It turned out that I confused AutoRetransmission and BUS_OFF. Now I use STM32 H7 to automatically retransmit when BUS fails.