cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 crashes when reading the last bytes from a memory-mapped QSPI

Nico1
Associate II

I'm trying to use memory-mapped QSPI with STM32H743XI, but it always crashes when reading the last few bytes (something like 96 bytes before the end address, but not entirely consistent). It crashes without a fault and just disconnects the debugger and has to be reset/power on/off to work again. I tried many things, but I couldn't change anything. I'm aware of the errata "2.4.4 Memory-mapped read of last memory byte fails", but it happens A LOT sooner than the last byte and the behaviour doesn't seem to be consistent with the description there. Also there's no mention for this errata in the revision table and I don't know if my chip is affected or not.

Any help is appreciated 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It is something I've noted before. I think it was the last 32-bytes, and likely related to caching or prefetch.

You might want to check the MPU setting. Edit: No been there, tried that..

Add 1 to the Size field when the QSPI memory is initialized.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

It is something I've noted before. I think it was the last 32-bytes, and likely related to caching or prefetch.

You might want to check the MPU setting. Edit: No been there, tried that..

Add 1 to the Size field when the QSPI memory is initialized.

Had to use Google, the f***ing search implementation here is worst than useless..

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BOvYcuSQF/h7-quadspi-weirdness

I actually didn't find this thread, even with extensive googling... But this is HIGHLY annoying and it already been 2 years and the errata for 2.4.4 only got added in February this year (2021) and in my opinion this is not the same problem and especially the increase in FSIZE should be added to the workaround section for future people that might find this... At least I'm not alone in finding this and there's a workaround that at least lets me _continue_ my work.

Still... I'm already longing for a future revision(which probably won't happen -.-) because of the way it fails. Even a debugger attached that reads this address can absolutely destroy your day with zero indication what happened. I have to now add a J-Link script which completely blocks this memory region to not trigger it again and I can never use more than 128MB QSPI flash in any practical fashion.

Please ST make it happen... STM32H7 has a long life in front of it and its not too late!

ChahinezC
Lead

Hello @Nico Lüthi,

You are right, the "2.4.4 Memory-mapped read of last memory byte fails" errata is missing in the Summary of device limitations. I will take care to report it internally to be added. 

Concerning the initially described issue, I believe that the behavior is the same as described in the errata ES0392 in the 2.4.4 section.

In fact, the debug crashing that you are observing is due to the AXI stall (which leads to CPU hang).

Then the workaround you applied is already provided:

0693W00000FA1deQAD.jpgIf you think that it is not the same case mentioned in the errata, can you please provide details on how you were able to confirm that it crashes in the last 96 bytes or sooner? 

For example screenshots of the signals you based on them with minimum code to reproduce the issue will be welcomed.

Chahinez.

I think I misunderstood what the "for example by taking margin in FSIZE bitfield setting" means and didn't think to increase FSIZE with that wording. I only did think about taking margin with my data access and not with FSIZE itself, but I'm not natively English-speaking so this might be my fault. Also did not expect to be able to change FSIZE without wreaking havoc, either on the chip or with invalid addresses to the flash device itself.

To your other point if I could prove how not only the last byte is affected: I was never able to get the the failing memory region down to one single byte, but I might not have tried hard enough. If I would control every single factor it might only be the last byte, but I never got below like 8 bytes or something. I think in a "normal" use-case its hardly only the last byte even though the errata might be technically correct. Also @Community member​ talks in his post about 32 bytes, so it really can be a huge range and quite confusing. Also never seen the 0x00 readout, but with caches, prefetching and debuggers running it's hardly a surprise.

Is a next silicon revision planned or will this limitation stay as it is until EOL? And has anybody any information if the FSIZE + 1 trick works with 256MB (0x90000000-0x9FFFFFFF) memory-mapped QSPI flash?

ChahinezC
Lead

Hi @Nico Lüthi​,

Concerning the 32 bytes; the QUADSPI supports a prefetch mechanism feature allowing to fill the FIFO (32bytes) during read operations in memory mapped mode as explained in the 23.3.7 section of RM0433.

It should work with 256MB flash memory since the Fsize can be configured up to 4Gb, while the memory mapped region is only up to 256Mbytes.

Chahinez.