cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f429 shortage

Hector_06
Associate III

Hello everyone ;

I dont know if this is the right place to write ; we are using stm32f429 in our products we use about 20K / year .

we are doing the plan for the next year we are getting a long ..very long shippng dates like 80 weeks !

even now we cant find this chip , we are getting crazy prices about 70$ each !

what is the ST doing here ? any think planned to help thier customers ?

its not easy to move to other MCU or even other vendur ; because need of CE .. and validations , softwares.. etc ...

Every week I see ST lunching new products ; instead lunching new products why not solving your customers problems first ?

Regards

9 REPLIES 9
S.Ma
Principal

IC shortage is well spread across the semiconductor industry, beimg mcu, graphics card, linear regulator, oscillators.... before it was mask and toilet paper crisis.... Try to select parts with pin2pin compatible multisource, to secure your business. Well RnD never stops. Probably new products start with initial quantities in stock, it is probably a way to secure parts before a project is too advanced. Read that Tesla implemented mitigation actions in the pressl....

Hector_06
Associate III

NXP dont have the IC shortage !

lets say its about shortage , so how and why lunching new products if you cant produce it ? it has no sens

S.Ma
Principal

Well the answer to the non tech qiestion would require to contact your nearest ST sales office.

TDK
Guru

> I dont know if this is the right place to write

Depends what your goal is. If you want a statement from ST, probably not. If you just want to vent or want other opinions, go for it.

Chips are being produced, they're just being sold more quickly than they're produced.

Development is largely separate from production. Doesn't make sense to shut down development if production is backed up.

> NXP dont have the IC shortage !

The CTO and news stories would disagree with this statement. Here is one of many:

https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/nxp-automotive-chip-shortage-continue

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The staff designing the IC are not the same ones manufacturing them.

If they design parts on tighter geometries, where the die are smaller, you get more per wafer.

It's not ST's fault your buyer hasn't been paying attention as delivery times have been pushing out for the last year or so.

The $70 would be from a Broker, not direct from ST, nor retail distribution. The arbitrage guys have been buying up any available free stock to resell.

NXP might have some slack capacity. Depends on the geometries and the most profitable part to be fabbing currently. If the herd all moves there you'll simply find another pinch point.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

my goal ; i get an suggetion from the ST sail to move to new MCU produced by st , they suggest L4 or U series ! i asked if you could produce these ICs why not produce the F4 series ?

the second goal :

To know how other people deal with this shortage, stop thier production? or what ?

The F4 is a 10+ year old product using a larger geometry. There is likely a larger customer base for these and the F2 parts

The L4 is significantly newer, has some nicer features, and ability to use QSPI external FLASH to hold large amounts of code/data without changing the STM32 IC.

>>To know how other people deal with this shortage, stop their production? or what ?

Plan better, don't expect to be able to make random purchases from retail distributors. The semiconductor business moved to build-to-order decades ago, if ST doesn't have orders/planning info it's not going to know the mix it needs to build. In normal times it takes 12 weeks to make/deliver, shorter times is where they've taken slack production time and speculatively built lines they have confidence that will sell and service random demands from retail distributors.

Yes, when your stock room is empty of the parts you need to build a board you stop production.

You'd understand your costings so you know how much you'd be willing to pay a broker, you'd tell the broker(s) your bid price for specific parts, and you'd watch market conditions.

If the capacity issue gets addressed the price might drop out of the arbitrage market, again watch the market.

Have orders on the books, in normal conditions you might be able to pull in or push out, currently conditions might mean you're limited to non-cancellable/non-returnable orders , and perhaps pre-payment.

If you have an order for delivery next year you might be able to use those parts or sell them on, place the order. Lacking any hedging order you run the risk of still not being able to source parts

What makes you think they're not producing chips?
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Well exactly, ST *is* building and selling a shed load of parts, just to people they have commitments and orders with.

The fabs have increased their prices to reflect the business conditions, so you can bet customers are focused on parts with high yield and high margin.

Also if you believe the reporting, ST sells more STM32 parts than anything NXP is doing in the same space.