cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 Discovery not working out of the box.

bsp0524
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2012 at 19:53

I got 2 new STM32F4 Discovery boards and both are not being recognized by STLINK utility. Here some of the observations. I compared the behavior to STM32F1 discovery board. (It is Windows 7 PC).

1) Plug in STM32F1 board. I see a pop up window saying USB mass storage device found.

Plug in STM32F4. No window pops up.

2) In STLink Utility I press the connect button. STM32F1 board is found and I can download program to flash. With STM32F4 I get a error message saying ''No STlink device found''

My board has Rev Z devices. I tried the patch that was released to support Rev Z device. That did not work either.

If we forget about programming the target device, I am not sure if the basic USB connection to the STLink is working. Any way to test/confirm this.

Thanks

#stm32f4discovery-stm32f4
15 REPLIES 15
diego
Associate II
Posted on August 08, 2014 at 04:46

Hi,

first of all, excuse my english. I have the same problem, plug in STM32F4, no window pops up. The preload demo is working, I use the mini USB connector.

Any idea of what happens?

Regards.

Posted on August 08, 2014 at 05:06

And what version of Windows are we talking about? And what drivers have you installed?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
diego
Associate II
Posted on August 08, 2014 at 05:10

Windows 7 - 32 bits. ST-Link/V2, Windows 7/Vista/XP (from ST's page)

diego
Associate II
Posted on August 08, 2014 at 05:44

not recognize the board, it's a normal behavior? I mean, when I connect the board to the PC does not recognize it as a new device.

diego
Associate II
Posted on August 18, 2014 at 05:10

Hello clive1,

Any suggestions / guidance on what else I can try?

Regards.
Andrew Neil
Evangelist II
Posted on August 18, 2014 at 13:16

ISTR that you had to run the driver installer 

before

you plug-in the board ?

And that was on XP - I'd guess all this ''signed'' driver malarky on Win-7/8 just adds to the chance of it not working...