cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer Error: No STM32 target found!

mathieusteketee
Associate III

I have a STM32F405RGT6 on a custom PCB and are using a ST-Link/V2 ISOL in my computer. A USB-Mini is conencted to the ST-Link and from the ST-Link I use RESET, SWCLK, SWIO and GND to my STM32.

I have tried connecting to the ST-Link with the STM32CubeProgrammer with the following settings:

Port: SWD

Frequency: 4000

Mode: Normal

Access port: 0 

Reset Mode: Software reset

Speed: Reliable

Shared: Disabled

Debug in Low Power mode: ON

mathieusteketee_1-1713515915240.png

Before connecting I have updated the driver to the latest according to the STM32CubeProgrammer: 

mathieusteketee_2-1713515989028.png

Version: V2J43S7

After updating the driver I tried to connecting to the MCU and recieve the same error every time:

Error: No STM32 target found! If your product embeds Debug Authenication, please perfrom a discovery using Debug Authentication

mathieusteketee_0-1713515888552.png

(I have also tried with different settings and it gave the same error)

I have tried following steps on the following guide:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus/how-to-solve-debugger-connection-issues/ta-p/49693

In the steps I have followed all the steps until 3.2 where I cant debug the main.c file in the Src folder.

I receive this error when trying to debug: 

mathieusteketee_3-1713516411253.png

I have chosen the .elf file in the Debug folder as shown here:

mathieusteketee_4-1713516504230.png

How do I manually enter the offset for the ELF file in the lanch configuration or disable symbol loading for the ELF file?

If there is another way to solve the "Error: No STM32 target found! If your product embeds Debug Authenication, please perfrom a discovery using Debug Authentication" error I am all ears. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I noticed a wiring issue with the not having a common ground to the ST-link and then got 3.79V as the target voltage. Once I had the target voltage at 3.79V I could connect! Thank you Andrew for your help. Really appreciate it.  

mathieusteketee_1-1713522448188.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AScha.3
Chief II

see:

AScha3_0-1713517299387.png

So your target has no power - or you didnt connect to st-link VDD input ; st-link "see" no target with power.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@mathieusteketee wrote:

A USB-Mini is conencted to the ST-Link and from the ST-Link I use RESET, SWCLK, SWIO and GND to my STM32.

Words are a particularly poor way to describe electrical connections - that's why we have schematics (aka "circuit diagrams")

As @AScha.3 said, you also need a VDD reference to the ST-Link.

Hi AScha.3, thank you for your quick reply.

Might be the target does not have power. I have not connected the ST-link VDD input since the MCU recieves 3.3V from the PCB. Is it necessary to set 3.3V on the VDD pin?

@mathieusteketee wrote:

I have not connected the ST-link VDD input since the MCU recieves 3.3V from the PCB.

The purpose of the ST-Link's VAPP connection is not to supply power to the target, but for the ST-Link to detect that the target is powered. It's how the ST-Link knows that there's a Target connected.

It is also used as the reference for the ST-Link's voltage translators.

When the ST-Link does not detect power from the Target, it assumes that there is no Target present.

EDIT:

From the ST-Link User Manual:

AndrewNeil_0-1713518865024.png

My applogies, here you go:

mathieusteketee_7-1713519063634.png

I see, thank you for your reply Andrew! 😁

I will try to set power on the VDD then.

Note that VAPP is the input on the ST-Link.

I have tried setting 3.3V to the VAPP, Pin 1, (also tried pin 2) and recieved 2.84VDC at the target voltage:

mathieusteketee_0-1713521786451.png

But it seems when I refresh it jumps to 1.39VDC. Is this normale?

mathieusteketee_1-1713521834587.png

However I still get the error (with 2.84VDC): 

mathieusteketee_2-1713521862575.png

I noticed a wiring issue with the not having a common ground to the ST-link and then got 3.79V as the target voltage. Once I had the target voltage at 3.79V I could connect! Thank you Andrew for your help. Really appreciate it.  

mathieusteketee_1-1713522448188.png