cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RXNEIE needed for dma request?

ProxiVision
Associate II

Hello,

i am trying to interface TI's ADS8910 (18bit SAR ADC) to an STM32F730 via normal SPI, since i am unsure whether QSPI will work.

I want to achieve the full 18 bit @1MSa, which is possible when working with 54MHz (/2 APB2 prescaler on the F730 which runs at full speed - 216MHz) and the ADC's zone 2 transfer.

The HAL implementation of dma transfer is way to slow between consecutive readouts and thus gets stuck "busy" and "locked" forever after the first readout.

Therefore i am currently trying to write everything myself.

My question is regarding the SPI CR2 register, bits 6 & 7 (RXNEIE and TXEIE):

Will the DMA requests, mentioned in Bits 0 & 1 (RXDMAEN and TXDMAEN) still be generated when the interrupts are masked?

I don't want my program to be interrupted more than neccessary.

the flow should be :

F7 gets an interrupt that signals that the ADC has finished conversion and is ready to send the new data.

SPI transfers 3x 8bits // or 2x 11bits (the ads 8910 needs at least 22 clocks)

DMA request is generated

DMA finishes transfer an generates an interrupt

Code handles data and SPI/DMA flags and enables/disables

Thanks in advance!

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

> Will the DMA requests, mentioned in Bits 0 & 1 (RXDMAEN and TXDMAEN) still be generated when the interrupts are masked?

Yes, DMA requests are handled regardless of interrupt configuration.

Consider capturing more than 1 sample per DMA buffer. The power of DMA is to capture many samples into a buffer and process them as a batch. This is more efficient than interrupting on every sample.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

> Will the DMA requests, mentioned in Bits 0 & 1 (RXDMAEN and TXDMAEN) still be generated when the interrupts are masked?

Yes, DMA requests are handled regardless of interrupt configuration.

Consider capturing more than 1 sample per DMA buffer. The power of DMA is to capture many samples into a buffer and process them as a batch. This is more efficient than interrupting on every sample.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

thanks for the quick answer!

I would like to, but i am unsure i can do it for the SPI to Memory part, the SPI on the F730 has only 1x 32bit FIFO each (one for RX and one for TX) and i need to clock and receive 22bits per sample. So i can't even buffer 2 Measurements in the FIFO.

LCE
Principal

I think TDK is not talking about the peripheral's FIFO, that's just an additional buffer between the SPI peripheral and the rest of the system.

So when starting DMA, assign it a memory buffer being able to hold more than one sample, change transfer length accordingly.

For my audio stuff using the I2S ( = SPI) I usually use DMA buffers big enough to give the MCU enough time for "working" with the data inbetween. Mostly several 100s of samples, but I don't do any real-time processing.

Thanks, i should definitely test that.

So far I've only been thinking about how i can process each sample before the next arrives, so that handling the raw data works in "real-time" and once i've stored a few hundred processed samples, i'd transfer them over to USB.

How do you deal with timed readouts in your applications? Do you leave dma enabled and only disable and re-enable SPI?

Or would it work to simply reload the NDTR only upon the interrupt? (with the dummy data, so that the Master starts clocking)

I have to read out every 1µs, which is signaled by an interrupt from the ADC.

I doubt I'd be fast enough for switching the stuff off and on if i'd work with the circular mode.

LCE
Principal

Isn't there any other way than to wait for this interrupt?

I actually don't know the SPI peripheral that well, so I can't tell if that ADC signal can somehow be "integrated" into the data transfer. 

Maybe check the ADC datasheet again.

I usually use audio ADCs, clocked by the SAI or I2S (part of SPI) peripheral, so with the word clock (from stereo times often "LRCK") samples are read via the serial / bit clock, no need to wait for an interrupt.

For these transfers, DMA in circular mode is perfect, at high data rates with:

a) buffers big enough

b) working with DMA's half and complete interrupts (set flags to work on first or second half of the buffer)

c) and the best feature - if the STM32 type supports it (the F7 does so) - double buffer mode "DBM"

DBM was not yet supported by HAL when I started playing with that about 2 or 3 years ago.