cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about DMA usage from STM32F0x1 reference manual

hexiaole
Associate II

Hi friends from community. I have a question about the paragraph about DMA section from STM32F0x1 reference manual page 200, as showed below:

hexiaole_0-1706116066678.png

I don't know how to understand the red highlight part of above picture,

why there says <these ‘memory’ register, field and bit are used to define the source peripheral in peripheral-to-peripheral mode>, 

rather than <... in memory-to-memory mode>?

or <... in memory-to-peripheral mode>?

or <... in peripheral-to-memory mode>?

I can not get the point where the author want to tell me from the red highlight part of above picture.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

I think they're saying that it's just an address - it can be either a peripheral or a memory address.

The fact that the register name, DMA_MARx, has 'M' in it doesn't restrict it to only Memory addresses;

Similarly, the fact that the register name,  DMA_PARx, - has 'P' in it doesn't restrict it to only Peripheral addresses. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

I think they're saying that it's just an address - it can be either a peripheral or a memory address.

The fact that the register name, DMA_MARx, has 'M' in it doesn't restrict it to only Memory addresses;

Similarly, the fact that the register name,  DMA_PARx, - has 'P' in it doesn't restrict it to only Peripheral addresses. 

I would concur.

On platforms with DMA1 and DMA2 there's typically an expedited or parallel path into APB1 or APB2 respectively from the "peripheral" side, ie from DMAx into something within APBx, so that it requires less cycles than a full pair of load and store operation, as in the case for memory-to-memory operations, where two distinct phases / operations have to occur.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

@Andrew Neil @Tesla DeLorean Andrew and Tesla, Thank you for replying.

I think your understanding is correct, that is, 'P' in register name is not restricted to the 'Peripheral device' and 'M' in register name is not restricted to the 'Memory device'.

Page 208 of the STM32F0x1 reference manual also emphasis this, as showed below:

hexiaole_0-1706152479436.png