cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output voltage

Marrkinho
Associate II

Wanted to confirm if the input/output voltage is 3.3V or 5V depending on the I/O structure of my pin .

I scoped a PWM signal with the board connected to the PC and on the dedicated pin I see the signal in  mV. I would like to send a higher voltage through that pin by connecting an external power supply then scope it , but I believe is not possible  due to its tolerance and perhaps the fact that I can't power the board anything more than 5V if i'm not wrong . I am a bit of confused on why on the scope I get the signal in mV when powered via USB.

2 REPLIES 2

Chip is not running at 5V

The pins can only sink/source relatively low amounts of current, you'll need a buffer for relays and motors, for example.

Check output voltage on pin without LOAD

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Marrkinho ,

@Marrkinho wrote:

Wanted to confirm if the input/output voltage is 3.3V or 5V depending on the I/O structure of my pin .

Most of the IO pins are Five volt tolerant (FT pins) as input but the voltage level could not exceed VDD as output (max 3.6 V).

SofLit_0-1729244728166.png

Example: 

SofLit_1-1729244788763.png

For 5V output and according to your application, you need a voltage level shifter example: https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/logic-level-shifting-basics

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.