cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing FMC Read / Writes for Audio Application STM32H7

EPala.2
Associate III

Hi, I am working on a realtime audio DSP product using the STM32H7 with a AS4C4M16SA-7BCN SDRAM chip for long delay line memory. I am using the FMC controller with the settings in the attached photo:

EPala2_0-1718652361505.png

The product processes an incoming audio stream in real time, so this is a very runtime critical application. I have found that reads and writes to and from the delay memory on the SDRAM are by far the biggest drag on overall performance. 

Currently I am just accessing SDRAM memory automatically through the C++ compiler, declaring as follows and accessing as I would any other variable: 
static float delay_line[48000 * 30] __attribute__((section(".sdram"))); //48000 sample rate * 30 seconds

I am wondering if there are any ways to optimize SDRAM reads and writes to get better performance, either through how I structure my code, or through settings in the CubeMX configurator. 

In particular, would it be faster to do sequential reads from consecutive SDRAM locations to a buffer in onboard memory rather than just accessing at random points based on my code behavior? Is there a vector style function that can quickly copy a block of data from the SDRAM to local memory? Would this approach be likely to provide a noticeable performance increase?

Please advise, thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

Hi,

by chance i just seen a cpu , that might be perfect for your project, in same price range as H7 : 

771-MIMXRT685SFVKB  (mouser)

4.5 MB of system SRAM accessible by both CPUs

- Arm Cortex-M33 processor, running at frequencies of up to 300 MHz

- Two coprocessors for the Cortex-M33: a hardware accelerator for fixed and floating
point DSP functions (PowerQuad) and a Crypto/FFT engine (Casper).

- Cadence Xtensa HiFi4 Audio DSP processor, running at frequencies of up to 600 MHz.

- Hardware Floating Point Unit. Up to four single-precision IEEE floating point MACs per cycle

So enough RAM for your idea , fast cpu, even faster DSP (about 4x the speed of the H7 ) ...

by NXP , afaik STM has nothing to compare to this.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".