cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up IRAM1/IRAM2 in Keil with STM32H742VIT6?

briankaz
Associate III

Hello,

I'm having weird problems with code crashing, perhaps related to how I have IRAM1/IRAM2 set up in my project:

briankaz_1-1703032836804.png

Looking in the reference manual, I see that the SRAM starting at 0x2000_0000 is the DTCM_RAM on TCM interface (data RAM?), the SRAM starting at 0x2400_0000 is the D1 domain, AXI SRAM but I don't see any documentation for how big either of these are.  I also can't figure out what is meant in Keil by IRAM1 vs. IRAM2 (Google is not very helpful), although I suspect that question might not be within the scope of the STM forums...

If anyone can help with this I will really appreciate it!
Thanks,
-Brian

17 REPLIES 17
TDK
Guru

If global variables are being overwritten, you probably have bad/buggy code resulting in a stack overflow or some other out-of-bounds memory access.

If you know what is being overwritten, you can set a hardware watchpoint at that memory address which will break when the offending code modifies it.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I already know one line of code which was causing one of these io_handle structures to be overwritten (I zeroed in on it by setting breakpoints and examining memory).  It was the function get_curr_frmw_info() illustrated here:

__NO_RETURN int main(void)
{
    img_header_t img_hdr;
    get_curr_frmw_info(&img_hdr);
}

static void get_curr_frmw_info(img_header_t *header)
{
    memcpy(header, (void *) IMG_INFO_ADDR, sizeof(img_header_t));
}

So that memcpy() was the culprit.  But how does this help us understand WHY a static-defined structure that should have been left alone was overwritten?

TDK
Guru

> But how does this help us understand WHY a static-defined structure that should have been left alone was overwritten?

There is no protection mechanism on global variables that prevents them from being overwritten by bad code (i.e. out of bounds access, stack overflow, etc). Why do you think that shouldn't be possible?

> So that memcpy() was the culprit.

Likely nothing wrong with memcpy here. You're passing a value instead of a pointer to that value.

img_header_t img_hdr;
    get_curr_frmw_info(img_hdr);

static void get_curr_frmw_info(img_header_t *header)

Should be:

get_curr_frmw_info(&img_hdr);

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Sorry! I copied the new version of that line of code and forgot to add the ampersand. Of course it was “&img_hdr” in the original code as you suggested.

I corrected the earlier post.  Sorry for the confusion.  I wonder if you can think of any reason why the previously-declared static structure would have been overwritten by memcpy() given the code as now quote above.
Thanks!

TDK
Guru

> static bsp_io_handle_t *io_handle;

The pointer to the structure is static, but the structure itself is dynamically allocated since you call malloc. Note that the "static" keyword here doesn't do a whole lot. If you want statically allocated structure, the proper code would be:

bsp_io_handle_t io_handle;

Tack "static" on the front if you want, but it doesn't do much.

A stack overflow would explain the issue, and that's about it. Look at where the structures are in memory and ensure they don't overlap. You can step through memcpy if you want--unlikely to be any problems with it.

OK I think I'm getting somewhere now.

I’ve reverted the code to the original static declarations and removed the malloc()/free() calls.

The IRAM1/IRAM2 settings are as in the screenshot at the top except that I've changed the IRAM2 size to 0x60000.

In debug mode, I noticed that the static structures are being placed in memory around 0x24000230-0x24000400.  Also, the stack pointer is jumping around close to these addresses.  So it seems like the stack memory is overlapping with the memory that should have been reserved for zero-initialized data (static structures).  How does the compiler even allow something like this to happen?  I can't find any settings in Keil controlling where the stack memory should be.

I would have thought the zero-initialized data would be placed at the lower available IRAM address (0x20000000) but that is not what the compiler did...

Ideas welcome!

Thanks!
-Brian

I edited the stack size in startup_stm32h742xx.s.  It used to be 0x400 and I changed it thus:

Stack_Size		EQU     0x800

Problem solved!

I'm still not sure why this project needs a bigger stack than an equivalent project on an STM32F3* MCU, but I'll take it!