cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send an e-mail with SMS module?

Der_Rote
Associate II

Hello,

I work with a STM32L031K6TxLQFP32. I can already send a SMS by connecting a SIM card.  Can someone tell if I can control a SIM card, so I can send and received an Email or, if it doesen't work, because of what value it would fail?

Thanks in advance.
#stm32#email

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Der_Rote wrote:

I can already send a SMS by connecting a SIM card. 

Not just a SIM card - you'd also need a GSM (cellular) radio module!

The SIM card is just your authentication to use the network.

To send an email, you'd need to implement an email client (eg, SMTP), which would also require a TCP/IP stack.

As @STTwo-32 suggested, many cellular modules have such things built in - access via AT Commands.

Or, as @Tesla DeLorean suggested, you may be able to find an SMS-to-email gateway service ...

BTW: note that GSM (2G & 3G) services are being phased-out (already gone in some places) - so probably not a great idea to be starting a project now based on a 2G module like SIM900...

https://www.emnify.com/blog/global-2g-3g-phase-out 

#2Gsunset #3Gsunset

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Der_Rote and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

That depends on the sim module that you arr using. For example, if you are looking to send email using the module sim900, it will be possible using the AT Commands.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

There's often an SMS method to an email address. Depends also on carrier / plan. Might also find SMS redirectors that can do it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Der_Rote wrote:

I can already send a SMS by connecting a SIM card. 

Not just a SIM card - you'd also need a GSM (cellular) radio module!

The SIM card is just your authentication to use the network.

To send an email, you'd need to implement an email client (eg, SMTP), which would also require a TCP/IP stack.

As @STTwo-32 suggested, many cellular modules have such things built in - access via AT Commands.

Or, as @Tesla DeLorean suggested, you may be able to find an SMS-to-email gateway service ...

BTW: note that GSM (2G & 3G) services are being phased-out (already gone in some places) - so probably not a great idea to be starting a project now based on a 2G module like SIM900...

https://www.emnify.com/blog/global-2g-3g-phase-out 

#2Gsunset #3Gsunset

Der_Rote
Associate II

Thanks a lot guys!

All of your hints was helpfull

it should work to send an email and I'll try it tomorrow 🙂