cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see the occupied percentage of RAM and Flash memory in STM32 MCUs.

STork.1
Associate III

Hi every one! I work with STM32 Nucleo H755ZIQ development board. A dual core MCU with 2MB of flash and 1 MB of Ram. I need to first store data the size of which is around 512KB on Ram and send the data set to a Wifi module. what I need is to see exactly how much RAM is used and how much is remained ... . I can not see it that in the build analyzer section or any other part.... If I remember correctly, for a simple blink example, the percentage of ram usage was being shown in build analyzer visually using diagram but at the moment its now shown . what I can see in the console section after building the project is :

text   data   bss   dec   hex filename

41160   684   3236  45080   b018 Timer-Blink-Test_CM7.elf

I read on a website that if I open the Debug section and right click on .map file and click on refresh, then I can see how much Flash & Ram has been. I did so but that did not work.

I also read that ot calculate the RAM usage add data and bss column. what I need is to see

the percentage of RAM usage that can be visually using diagram shown by the IDE (not by numbers like above).

on more question, in dual core MCU's , if we use on of the cores, can we access the total amount of RAM or the we only can access a part of it ?

I would be thankful and looking forward to your feedbacks.

1 REPLY 1
Ozone
Lead

You can check the map file, to see how much of each memory area is used.

Percentage display is a convenience function, some IDEs display it by their own (like Crossworks).

> on more question, in dual core MCU's , if we use on of the cores, can we access the total amount of RAM or the we only can access a part of it ?

I don't know the H7 series, but you will need to check the datasheet/reference manual for the memory layout.

Each "shared" range might be used by one core alone.

OTOH, what is the point of using just one core of a dual-cor MCU ?

This just complicates things.