cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I'm having troubles changing the baudrate of my UART2 configuration. It is initially set to 921600 bps and a bit duration is 1.08us = 1/921600bps, which is fine. However, trying to double this value seems impossible.

PMach.1
Senior

In MX, at first, I changed the sample rate to 8 bits to double the baudrate. The code was successfully generated, compiled and downloaded. The communication still exists, but the baudrate is still the same as before, with a bit duration of 1.08us.

Then, on MX view, I reverted the sample rate back to 16 bits and introduced manually the new baudrate 1843200. The same as before happened, with the baudrate not being updated.

I tried to update directly the values on the MX_USART2_UART_Init function and the same happened, the baudrate is still 921600bps.

As I suspected this could be a rate compatibility problem, I decided to lower the baudrate to 115200bps, both on MX view and directly on the code. Again, the real baudrate remained at 921600 bps.

On my test setup, I have two MCUs STM32H745IIK6 connected together through their UART2 (no flow control and no baudrate auto-detect). One of the MCUs sends a byte constantly over and over and the other receives it and sends it back. Obviously, the changes in baudrate I preformed were on both MCUs.

Attached goes a printscreen from the oscilloscope of a byte sent (0x71), and cursors measuring the bit width.

Any ideas on what is causing this problems?

Thanks in advance,

Machado

15 REPLIES 15
PMach.1
Senior

The problem is solved!

Trying to figure out in detail, I decided to run the code step-by-step in debug mode. It happens that in this mode I checked the BRR being correctly written (like I wanted). It ended up with the UART running in different baudrates, as ordered. Basically, it works when running step-by-step in debug, but not in normal runtime.

I decided to run it step-by-step, without stepping into that many functions, so as to not to go too low-level. Gradually, I observed that only stepping over the HAL_UART_Init() function inside MX_USART2_UART_Init() function, resuming the rest of the code to runtime mode would suffice to correctly program the UART into running. I started getting the suspicion that it was some kind of timing issue, that prevented the normal writing into the registers, although some variables were updated with the correct values (like, for example, huart2.Instance.BRR which I was checking, assuming it would correctly write the value on the register, which aparently didn't).

I came up with the workaround of adding a delay before the function HAL_UART_Init() is brought up. This *****, obviously. Now, anytime I alter the definitions in MX view and generate new code, might have to re-add the delay. My new MX_USART2_UART_Init function is as follows:

void MX_USART2_UART_Init(void)

{

huart2.Instance = USART2;

huart2.Init.BaudRate = 1843200;

huart2.Init.WordLength = UART_WORDLENGTH_8B;

huart2.Init.StopBits = UART_STOPBITS_1;

huart2.Init.Parity = UART_PARITY_NONE;

huart2.Init.Mode = UART_MODE_TX_RX;

huart2.Init.HwFlowCtl = UART_HWCONTROL_NONE;

huart2.Init.OverSampling = UART_OVERSAMPLING_16;

huart2.Init.OneBitSampling = UART_ONE_BIT_SAMPLE_DISABLE;

huart2.Init.ClockPrescaler = UART_PRESCALER_DIV1;

huart2.AdvancedInit.AdvFeatureInit = UART_ADVFEATURE_RXOVERRUNDISABLE_INIT|UART_ADVFEATURE_DMADISABLEONERROR_INIT;

huart2.AdvancedInit.OverrunDisable = UART_ADVFEATURE_OVERRUN_DISABLE;

huart2.AdvancedInit.DMADisableonRxError = UART_ADVFEATURE_DMA_DISABLEONRXERROR;

HAL_Delay(1);

if (HAL_UART_Init(&huart2) != HAL_OK)

{

Error_Handler();

}

if (HAL_UARTEx_SetTxFifoThreshold(&huart2, UART_TXFIFO_THRESHOLD_1_8) != HAL_OK)

{

Error_Handler();

}

if (HAL_UARTEx_SetRxFifoThreshold(&huart2, UART_RXFIFO_THRESHOLD_1_8) != HAL_OK)

{

Error_Handler();

}

if (HAL_UARTEx_DisableFifoMode(&huart2) != HAL_OK)

{

Error_Handler();

}

}

Again, I only suspect of a timing issue and do not fully understand why it happens. If anyone knows exactly what the problem might be, or even has a different suspicion, please, feel free to comment.

Regards

TDK
Guru

Not sure I buy that explanation. You're claiming that if you remove the "HAL_Delay(1);" line, the baud rate becomes 921600?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

No. I may have not been clear.

If I remove the HAL_Delay(1), I am not able to change any configuration to the UART from then on. As you seen in the latest code, the baudrate is 1843200 (and that's what I measure in my signal). By removing the delay, any alteration to the UART configuration will not be reflected in the signall. If I set the baudrate do 155200, for example, I will still measure a 1843200 bps baudrate on my signal. The same applies to the number of bits of the word length. If I set to 9 bits, it still sends only 8 bits. All of this because I removed the delay.

The HAL_Delay(1) allows the alterations of the configuration to take place and the signal that is measured. Without the delay, I can't change the signal properties.

My initial concern for the 921600 bps baudrate was because it was initially set to this throughput. I just couldn't change it this time. This is for a really big project that has been going on for several months. Many, many lines of code have been written since the initial configuration of the UART. I don't really know why I couldn't change this time, maybe some race condition, who knows?

Oh, so you’re calling HAL_UART_Init multiple times. I didnt get that by reading the question.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

In fact I only call it once. I'm just beginning a new debug process multiple times. I guess this might be relevant, I don't know.

In any case, glad you got it sorted out. Probably restarting the session caused something funny, not sure.