cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From H7-series to U5-series - problem with OCTOSPI

Southbranch
Senior II

Hi,

I have two custom boards using the same OCTOSPI HyperFlash and for some reason the memory fails to run at higher speeds with U5-board.

Board 1
-H7 MCU at 550 MHz
-OCTOSPI at 160 MHz works fine! (max clk is 166 MHz)

Board 2
-H5 MCU at 160 MHz
-OCTOSPI at 160 MHz fails in W/R.... (works fine up to 110 MHz)

Could there be any specific reasons why the U5 cannot handle the OCTOSPI running at 160 MHz, which in this case is the same speed as the MCU clock?

5 REPLIES 5

Check pin drivers / SPEEDR. Check if the memory has lower drive levels

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Southbranch
Senior II

Could you please elaborate what you mean with SPEEDR and drive levels?

I have checked voltage pins and they are fine. Also checked clock and other signals, a bit of ringing on both boards but accept that, it seems ok. However, my scope only measures up to 100 MHz and thus I really cant say for sure how it looks like at 160 MHz.

Board 1 is a 6-layer PCB setup and Board 2 is a 4-layer. I have checked trace impedance to be around 50 ohms on both boards.

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Southbranch , 

Could you please refer to STM32U5 data sheet and check the maximum OCTOSPI clock frequency in table OCTOSPI characteristics in DTR mode (with DQS)/HyperBus(1)(2) 

The below table is OCTOSPI characteristics in DTR mode (with DQS)/HyperBus for STM32U5A.

KDJEM1_0-1718288963802.png

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Southbranch
Senior II

Thank Kaouthar,

However I am a bit confused, I am using the Hyperbus OCTOSPI in memory mapped mode and in AN5050 I just found this table saying the U5-series should support 160 MHz.

Southbranch_1-1718342966783.png

Please help me clarify,

many thanks in advance

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hi @Southbranch ,

The max AHB bus frequency access indicated in An5050 table 2 is the maximum bus frequency used for the data register.

You can show the max OCTOSPI communication frequency in "Max OCTOSPI speed (MHz) line" in AN5050 table 2.

KDJEM1_2-1719219301312.png

Note that this max frequency depends on voltage scaling as mentioned in the datasheet.

I hope this answer your request.

Thank you.

Kaouthar 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.